H.265 passthrough event playback in browser

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.30.x releases only.
Dirt

H.265 passthrough event playback in browser

Post by Dirt »

Hi, I set up a h.264 branch of ZoneMinder v1.30.0 and we received several Hikvision DS-2CD3T45 cameras which are able to record h.265+ video. That is nice feature to have when disk space is limited so naturally I tried to enable it. Almost everything runs fine. I'm able to see image, events are being recorded. Though when I am trying to view events I can not play them in browser. Instead I receive a message on black video output window:
"The video could not be loaded, either because the server or network failed or because the format is not supported".
If I download events they playback just fine. Also h.264 events do playback in browser as supposed to.

What could I do to make h.265/HEVC video playback in browser available?
Also there i a lot of errors in log like: "Input stream is not h264. The stored event file may not be viewable in browser.". I would be very thankful if anybody knows way to make ZM ignore theme.
iconnor

Re: H.265 passthrough event playback in browser

Post by iconnor »

Apparently Edge is the only browser that supports h265,
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

iconnor, thank! I haven't realized that playback is browser specific thing, but HTML5 make miracles in coding agility. :)

Everything work perfect on Edge, also I came across alternative Google Chrome build that supports H.265 playback to. That could be a great alternative for non-Windows 10 systems:
https://github.com/henrypp/chromium/releases

No the only question left is how to remove error messages from log.
brandonj

Post by brandonj »

Is the software utilizing the full scope of H.265 how can this be verified?
iconnor

Post by iconnor »

No idea. It's up to you.
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

Were are doing record with ffmpeg passthrough without any analysis. In this terms recording and playback work just fine when browser supports h.265.
Loads are very reasonable as well. We had a problem with one of the cameras, it was always getting signal losses. After I finally changed it to connect using RTP/Unicast instead of RTP/RSTP is started to do stable 30min records as supposed to.