Philips PCVC840K through 5m USB-repeater cable?

A place for discussion of topics that are not specific to ZoneMinder. This could include Linux, Video4Linux, CCTV cameras or any other topic.
Mr.Ed

Philips PCVC840K through 5m USB-repeater cable?

Post by Mr.Ed »

Hi guys,

Does anybody have any experience in succesfully using this configuration? :(

The extension cable has a small black box integrated at the far end, or beginning, depends on how you look at it :-), which acts as a USB repeater. When i do "lsusb" then i see both the Philips webcam and a NEC Corp. Highspeed Hub.

When the camera is connected to the extension cable, no streaming video is displayed in ZM. A shorter cable without the repeater-electronics in it displays streaming video without problems.

My guess is to look for a linux driver for this kind of cable, if it excists at all :shock: . But i was hoping not to need one. :wink:

For the Forum keeper(s): Would it not be a better idea to have a seperate section just for camera questions, rather then to have to ask these kind of questions in the chat section? :)

Best regards,

Ed.
A Horse is a Horse, of course of course...
Hw:P4SDX(P4/2.4GHz)+1Gb RAM+160Mb SATA Hdd+4xHaupp.WinTV-Radio (BT878)+1xPV153+1xPCVC840K (All PAL)
Sw: FC3 (2.6.9-1.667) + KDE + ZM-1.20.1 (Yum) + Mozilla Firefox
rmo

Philips PCVC 840

Post by rmo »

Hi Ed,
on my Box the Philips PCVC 840

PC USB1 -> PCVC 840 is running
PC USB2 -> PCVC 840 is running
PC USB1 -> USB2 Repeater -> PCVC 840 is not running, with strange error messages in log file.

Best regards

rmo
Mr.Ed

Post by Mr.Ed »

Hi,

Could you elaborate a bit more on the error message you got in the logfile. Wich logfile is it? What does it say?

I have to admit that i am not that good in sniffing through logfiles and disecting everything in small bits and come up with a straight answer.

Maybe i have the same error message in that particular logfile. Who knows...

Ed.
A Horse is a Horse, of course of course...
Hw:P4SDX(P4/2.4GHz)+1Gb RAM+160Mb SATA Hdd+4xHaupp.WinTV-Radio (BT878)+1xPV153+1xPCVC840K (All PAL)
Sw: FC3 (2.6.9-1.667) + KDE + ZM-1.20.1 (Yum) + Mozilla Firefox