Processor load problem

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.27.x releases only.
narsil

Processor load problem

Post by narsil »

Hi,

What kind of machine am I supposed to use to run ZM ?

I'm using a HP Compaq dc7800 (dual core 2.66GHz with 4Gb RAM) and as soon as I launch ZM, I get a 100% load on both processors.

I have only 2 Edimax IC-3116W cams captured in RSTP h264 640x480, 1 zone each covering more or less 2/3 of the entire image, FilteredPixel, Best medium sensivity preset.

Is this normal ?

Thanks

Diego
narsil

Re: Processor load problem

Post by narsil »

Tiebracker :

My cams generate two zm's readable streams, RTSP/H286 and HTTP/mjpg, is there a difference in CPU load between those ?
linuxsense

Post by linuxsense »

What is the system load? If its between 1 & 2 that means the system has 'just enough' to do at the moment. On a dual core system going over 2.0 would mean its being asked to do more than it can reasonably do. Sort of...that's the super basic explanation, other system tasks also factor into calculating load. For comparison my 6 cam system (5 analog, 1 IP) with a AMD FX-6100 Six-Core Processor runs a load around 0.8 and 1.5 while just recording all feeds, if I switch to 'mocord' or anything else that requires more processing power the load can run as high as 2.5 or 4 depending on time of day and analysis activity. Anyway...a quick Google of your rig shows me its either running a Core 2 or Celery and those are not exactly powerhouses. My old ZM box had a Core 2 Duo @ 3.3GHz and it was always under what I would consider too high of a load, just not enough grunt.

I am not sure of the current state of this, but in the past I had pretty large reductions in overhead by using libjpeg turbo, although I am not sure of the benefit to current builds. You might want to check it out.
narsil

Post by narsil »

The system load is between 2.2 and 2.5 (2 core) with two cams, that's absolutely enough to drop frames and make the system useless ! And I will need 5 cams to cover my area, so ... Of course dc7800 is not a ferrari and I have all graphic interface installed and running.

I just wanted to know if spending time in optimization was useful, but as far as I understand, no way. I'll need some high speed computer to go.

Thanks

Diego
linuxsense

Post by linuxsense »

Check into libjpeg-turbo before you drop some cash, it might free up the overhead that you need.
PacoLM

Post by PacoLM »

Try adjusting the Maximum FPS on each monitor. I recommend you to have this value about 5, and Alarm FPS with no value. Enough to catch motion and start an alarm in maximum FPS when needed. This will lower the CPU to half or more.

Hope it helps,

PacoLM

After more than 15 years, no longer using ZM as surveillance system.
Now in the dark side, using a commercial system...