No playback images, missing sockets and zombie processes

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.26.x releases only.
c128

Re: No playback images, missing sockets and zombie processes

Post by c128 »

linuxsense wrote:You guys with socket issues, did you do an upgrade or a fresh install of the DB? I had some issues upgrading the DB, got much better results just starting from scratch. If any of you are still stuck feel free to PM me and I can SSH to your box and check it out if you would like.
Thanks for the offer :) - I've since re-imaged the machine that Zoneminder was on, and am yet to get round to a re-install.

For my part, it was a "cleaned up" installation - original Ubuntu apt-installed Zoneminder and dependent packages removed, mysql databases etc. deleted. Didn't get a resolution at the time, but I'll see how it goes when I re-try 1.26 on my (truly) clean machine.
Tumult

Post by Tumult »

linuxsense wrote:You guys with socket issues, did you do an upgrade or a fresh install of the DB? I had some issues upgrading the DB, got much better results just starting from scratch. If any of you are still stuck feel free to PM me and I can SSH to your box and check it out if you would like.
Yes, thanks for the offer, I may take you up on that.

Sorry for the late response, been learning the ins and outs of git ... awesome.

As far as what I did, I can tell you exactly. I'm keeping very specific notes in an attempt to create installation instructions that I can hand to anyone (with some basic computer knowledge) and blindly follow to completion:
  • 1) Perform a clean install of Ubuntu 12.04 Server with SSH and LAMP options from live CD
    2) Log in and update distro

Code: Select all

$ sudo su
    # apt-get update
    # apt-get upgrade
    # apt-get dist-upgrade

3) Setup network. Edit interface, save and close.

# nano /etc/network/interface

auto eth0
      iface eth0 inet static
          address 192.168.2.10
          network 192.168.2.0
          netmask 255.255.255.0
          broadcast 192.168.2.255
          gateway 192.168.2.2
          dns-nameservers 192.168.2.2

4) Reboot server

# shutdown -r now

5) After server restarts, log in
    6) Install puppet and git

$ sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install puppet git-core -y

7) Get puppet-zoneminder

$ git clone git://github.com/kylejohnson/puppet-zoneminder.git zoneminder

8) Install ffmpeg

$ sudo apt-get install ffmpeg

9) Install ZoneMinder

$ sudo puppet apply --verbose --modulepath=`pwd` -e 'include zoneminder'

10) Get and install cambozola

$ mkdir cambozola
    $ cd cambozola
    $ wget "http://www.andywilcock.com/code/cambozola/cambozola-latest.tar.gz"
    $ sudo cp cambozola-0.931/dist/cambozola.jar /var/www/zm/
    $ sudo chown www-data:www-data /var/www/zm/cambozola

After this, I configure a couple cameras (1 IP, 1 USB), and all seems well except for the flakiness of the playback, which seems to coincide with the missing socket files (thats when they pop up in the log), and the zombie process (which also seems to appear upon the first attempted playback).

The zombie process in of itself is no biggie, buy may be a clue, plus its annoying in the sense that it prevents a remote shutdown -r now command ... can't stop all processes (i.e. can't kill the zombie process).
Painter

Post by Painter »

After going from zm 1.25 to 1.26.3 under ubuntu 13.04 i had similar sockets errors.

I was able to record, realtime montage was working and also "frames" & stills" was working.
Only playback of recordings was not working.
By enabling extra logging and debugging i noticed that there was also errors pointing to that zm was trying to read the events/images under /var/www/events and not under /var/www/zm/events that is the correct path for my installation.
I checked my config files but couldn't figure out where the wrong definition was set so i made a link for to correct path for both events and images folders and everything is back to normal.

root@picasso:/var/www# ln -s /var/www/zm/events/ /var/www/events
root@picasso:/var/www# ln -s /var/www/zm/images/ /var/www/images

Stefanos
c128

Post by c128 »

c128 wrote: I've since re-imaged the machine that Zoneminder was on, and am yet to get round to a re-install.

For my part, it was a "cleaned up" installation - original Ubuntu apt-installed Zoneminder and dependent packages removed, mysql databases etc. deleted. Didn't get a resolution at the time, but I'll see how it goes when I re-try 1.26 on my (truly) clean machine.
So...back again :D .

This time I performed a puppet install with an absolutely clean Ubuntu 12.0.4 setup.
Unfortunately, I have exactly the same problem.
Install itself was completely without issues, but when I try to view a camera's live stream then I just get the following:

2013-09-27 20:26:03.708645	web_js	7311	ERR	getStreamCmdResponse stream error: socket_sendto( /tmp/zm/zms-303880s.sock ) failed: No such file or directory - checkStreamForErrors()	?view=watch	
2013-09-27 20:26:03.592423	web_php	7311	ERR	socket_sendto( /tmp/zm/zms-303880s.sock ) failed: No such file or directory	includes/functions.php	2343
2013-09-27 20:25:57.482084	web_js	7187	ERR	getStreamCmdResponse stream error: socket_sendto( /tmp/zm/zms-303880s.sock ) failed: No such file or directory - checkStreamForErrors()	?view=watch	
2013-09-27 20:25:57.398381	web_php	7187	ERR	socket_sendto( /tmp/zm/zms-303880s.sock ) failed: No such file or directory	includes/functions.php	2343
2013-09-27 20:25:51.432487	web_js	7311	ERR	getStreamCmdResponse stream error: socket_sendto( /tmp/zm/zms-303880s.sock ) failed: No such file or directory - checkStreamForErrors()	?view=watch	
2013-09-27 20:25:51.313232	web_php	7311	ERR	socket_sendto( /tmp/zm/zms-303880s.sock ) failed: No such file or directory	includes/functions.php	2343
2013-09-27 20:25:46.120089	zms	7434	ERR	Terminating, last frame sent time 1380309945.619966 secs more than maximum of 10.000000	zm_monitor.cpp	3994
2013-09-27 20:25:34.864880	zmwatch	7412	INF	Watchdog pausing for 30 seconds
As far as I can tell, this is with exactly the same camera config that was working fine on the same machine with 1.25.x - a cheap Maygion via RTSP using ffmpeg.
Nothing else looking relevant, interesting or worrying in the Apache or system logs.
Apache cgi-bin setup and everything else is as configured by the puppet install.
Any pointers on what I might dig into my end?

Thanks.
Torsten73

Post by Torsten73 »

Normally you shouldn't install ffmpeg from Ubuntu. The puppet will build it from source.
But the hole rstp part seems to make trubble to everyone. There is an old patch for adding mkv support in my topic which I couldn't test because I didn't know how to add it to the puppet installer. But it should also help for rtsp problems.
But maybe some of you guys knows how ... and tries it.
c128

Post by c128 »

For my part, and the issues I'm seeing, I'm using the ffmpeg built by puppet (as listed in Options|Images|PATH_FFMPEG as /usr/local/bin/ffmpeg post-install).

My install using puppet was on an absolutely fresh Ubuntu 12.04 64-bit machine - no prior ffmpeg install.

It turns out that motion detect is working fine, and I can view stills OK, but live/recorded video viewing just doesn't seem to work - that triggers the errors posted in my earlier post.

Not sure how to investigate this - makes no difference if I'm using native browser viewing of the stream or Cambozola - I just can't seem to view video...

Any suggestions?
linuxsense

Post by linuxsense »

c128 wrote:For my part, and the issues I'm seeing, I'm using the ffmpeg built by puppet (as listed in Options|Images|PATH_FFMPEG as /usr/local/bin/ffmpeg post-install).

My install using puppet was on an absolutely fresh Ubuntu 12.04 64-bit machine - no prior ffmpeg install.

It turns out that motion detect is working fine, and I can view stills OK, but live/recorded video viewing just doesn't seem to work - that triggers the errors posted in my earlier post.

Not sure how to investigate this - makes no difference if I'm using native browser viewing of the stream or Cambozola - I just can't seem to view video...

Any suggestions?
Nothing comes to mind but FWIW I used the Puppet module on a fresh 13.04 64 bit install and I dont have ffmpeg issues. I get some image artifacts when viewing video in a browser but when viewing using 'IP cam viewer' on Android or iPad the video looks fine.
c128

Post by c128 »

I've installed 2 new cameras now - a Lilin LR7022 (superb 1080p IP cameras, for the money, BTW :) ) and a Foscam FI9805W.
With WEB_H_STREAM_METHOD set to jpeg, these seem to both be working with the live view :o .

So...might just be an issue with the Maygion then - I'd always used this as my "standard" as it was a lower resolution known-good streamer for me in Zoneminder, and so hadn't thought to setup other cameras if this didn't work.