Now hear this: Please test 1.26-beta.2!

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.26.x releases only.
river100

Re: Now hear this: Please test 1.26-beta.2!

Post by river100 »

the puppet install is using 12.04 server LTS 64bit
knight-of-ni

Post by knight-of-ni »

river100 wrote:I used the puppet module and it's working but doesn't look like
it has H.264 support.
Will that be added to the puppet module in the future?
As far as the rest of the build I haven't tested much of it yet, but have
mjpeg IP cams, H264 cams and a BTTV capture card so I can check it out.
BTW the puppet module is nice, need to look into that.
From a vm running Ubuntu 12.04 server with zoneminder installed via puppet:

Code: Select all

abauer@vUbuntuServer:~$ ffmpeg -decoders |grep 264
ffmpeg version N-55735-gaadfadd Copyright (c) 2000-2013 the FFmpeg developers
  built on Aug 23 2013 13:24:48 with gcc 4.6 (Ubuntu/Linaro 4.6.3-1ubuntu5)
  configuration: --enable-shared --enable-swscale --enable-gpl
  libavutil      52. 42.100 / 52. 42.100
  libavcodec     55. 29.100 / 55. 29.100
  libavformat    55. 14.102 / 55. 14.102
  libavdevice    55.  3.100 / 55.  3.100
  libavfilter     3. 82.102 /  3. 82.102
  libswscale      2.  5.100 /  2.  5.100
  libswresample   0. 17.103 /  0. 17.103
  libpostproc    52.  3.100 / 52.  3.100
 VFS..D h264                 H.264 / AVC / MPEG-4 AVC / MPEG-4 part 10
Looks like H.264 is compiled in. Can you be more specific as to why you think H.264 support is not available? What isn't working? Are you getting an error message? This is beta so there may very well be an issue, but we need more info.
Visit my blog for ZoneMinder related projects using the Raspberry Pi, Orange Pi, Odroid, and the ESP8266
All of these can be found at https://zoneminder.blogspot.com/
jameswilson

Post by jameswilson »

As a side note its wonderful news that zm is being taken forward. I for one am very pleased. Thankyou
James Wilson

Disclaimer: The above is pure theory and may work on a good day with the wind behind it. etc etc.
http://www.securitywarehouse.co.uk
jimm01

Post by jimm01 »

On fedora 19 32 bit the source will compile without ffmpeg just fine, need several changes to configuration to get it to display in a
brower. Tried several ffmpeg sources so fair with good and bad results. When I have some more time shall post a configuration
that will ease the problems with a Fedora installation.
river100

Post by river100 »

knnniggett,
sorry it took so long to Get back to this. been crazy busy.
I did check for h264 mpeg4 part 10. no h264 was shown.
only the libav stuff. could not check again today since I messed
with ffmpeg the day I installed it.
doing a fresh server and puppet install now. I did look at the puppet config
files and there were only two ffmpeg options listed.
but not familiar with puppet yet.
will post back after this install.
thanks
river100

Post by river100 »

OK, did fresh server install 12.04 LTS 64bit. then puppet module per instructions
on the github page. went OK until just after
Scheduling refresh of Exec[make-install-ffmpeg]
error/Stage[main]/Zoneminder::Install::FFmpeg/Exec[make-install-ffmpeg]: Failed to call refresh:make install returned 2 instead of one or [0] at /home/mydir/zoneminder/manifests/install/ffmpeg.pp.:30

the zoneminder make failed too >> make returned 2 instead of one of [0] at /home/....../install/zoneminder.pp.37

also error on could not restart service zm returned 127: service.pp.:10

I would have given a cut paste but I did the install at local monitor so this is being sent

from my Nexus.
knight-of-ni

Post by knight-of-ni »

I tried the install from scratch again just to see if something had changed and didn't run into any issues. What follows are my notes. Try comparing this with your results. Can you see any differences?

The following was done from a VirtualBox vm with 1GB ram, 10Gb disk, and 2 cpu cores:
  • Boot off 64bit Ubuntu Server cd image and install with mostly default settings
  • Select OpenSSH server and no other package options
  • Boot into fresh os and perform:

sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    sudo apt-get install linux-headers-server linux-image-server linux-server

• Power down, take a snapshot of the vm, and then power on
  • Now perform the steps from the puppet module instructions:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install puppet git-core -y
    git clone git://github.com/kylejohnson/puppet-zoneminder.git zoneminder
    sudo puppet apply --verbose --modulepath=`pwd` -e 'include zoneminder' > zmpuppet.txt 2>&1
  • Once complete, point web browser to the server's ip address and verify zoneminder is installed and running
Here is the output from the puppet module:

info: Applying configuration version '1378128126'
notice: /Stage[main]/Zoneminder::Config/File[/etc/ld.so.conf.d/zoneminder.conf]/ensure: defined content as '{md5}9d932ad0f2270b481cc6bbeb3ba792c6'
info: /Stage[main]/Zoneminder::Config/File[/etc/ld.so.conf.d/zoneminder.conf]: Scheduling refresh of Exec[ldconfig]
notice: /Stage[main]/Zoneminder::Install/Package[php5-mysql]/ensure: ensure changed 'purged' to 'present'
notice: /Stage[main]/Zoneminder::Install/Package[subversion]/ensure: ensure changed 'purged' to 'present'
notice: /Stage[main]/Zoneminder::Install/Package[build-essential]/ensure: ensure changed 'purged' to 'present'
notice: /Stage[main]/Zoneminder::Install/Package[libarchive-zip-perl]/ensure: ensure changed 'purged' to 'present'
notice: /Stage[main]/Zoneminder::Install/Package[libdbi-perl]/ensure: ensure changed 'purged' to 'present'
notice: /Stage[main]/Zoneminder::Install/Package[yasm]/ensure: ensure changed 'purged' to 'present'
notice: /Stage[main]/Zoneminder::Install/Package[libmime-perl]/ensure: ensure changed 'purged' to 'present'
notice: /Stage[main]/Zoneminder::Install/Package[php5]/ensure: ensure changed 'purged' to 'present'
notice: /Stage[main]/Zoneminder::Install/Package[libmysqlclient-dev]/ensure: ensure changed 'purged' to 'present'
notice: /Stage[main]/Zoneminder::Install/Package[libssl-dev]/ensure: ensure changed 'purged' to 'present'
notice: /Stage[main]/Zoneminder::Install/Package[mysql-server]/ensure: ensure changed 'purged' to 'present'
notice: /Stage[main]/Zoneminder::Install/Package[libdevice-serialport-perl]/ensure: ensure changed 'purged' to 'present'
notice: /Stage[main]/Zoneminder::Install/Package[libjpeg-turbo8]/ensure: ensure changed 'purged' to 'present'
notice: /Stage[main]/Zoneminder::Install/Package[libsys-mmap-perl]/ensure: ensure changed 'purged' to 'present'
notice: /Stage[main]/Zoneminder::Install/Package[automake]/ensure: ensure changed 'purged' to 'present'
notice: /Stage[main]/Zoneminder::Install/Package[libjpeg-turbo8-dev]/ensure: ensure changed 'purged' to 'present'
notice: /Stage[main]/Zoneminder::Install/Package[apache2-mpm-prefork]/ensure: ensure changed 'purged' to 'present'
notice: /Stage[main]/Zoneminder::Install/Package[libapache2-mod-php5]/ensure: ensure changed 'purged' to 'present'
notice: /Stage[main]/Zoneminder::Install/Package[libdate-manip-perl]/ensure: ensure changed 'purged' to 'present'
notice: /Stage[main]/Zoneminder::Install/Package[apache2]/ensure: ensure changed 'purged' to 'present'
info: FileBucket adding {md5}b38ca5a963f52930ede3f4e1958f3275
info: /Stage[main]/Zoneminder::Config/File[/etc/apache2/sites-enabled/000-default]: Filebucketed /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/000-default to puppet with sum b38ca5a963f52930ede3f4e1958f3275
notice: /Stage[main]/Zoneminder::Config/File[/etc/apache2/sites-enabled/000-default]/ensure: defined content as '{md5}85f1baf2816c93f7d41bbadb61d3109d'
notice: /Stage[main]/Zoneminder::Install/Package[libwww-perl]/ensure: ensure changed 'purged' to 'present'
notice: /Stage[main]/Zoneminder::Install/Package[libbz2-dev]/ensure: ensure changed 'purged' to 'present'
notice: /Stage[main]/Zoneminder::Install/Package[libpcre3-dev]/ensure: ensure changed 'purged' to 'present'
notice: /Stage[main]/Zoneminder::Config/File[/var/www/zm]/ensure: created
notice: /Stage[main]/Zoneminder::Install::Ffmpeg/Exec[clone-ffmpeg]/returns: executed successfully
notice: /Stage[main]/Zoneminder::Install::Ffmpeg/Exec[configure-ffmpeg]/returns: executed successfully
info: /Stage[main]/Zoneminder::Install::Ffmpeg/Exec[configure-ffmpeg]: Scheduling refresh of Exec[make-ffmpeg]
notice: /Stage[main]/Zoneminder::Install::Ffmpeg/Exec[make-ffmpeg]: Triggered 'refresh' from 1 events
info: /Stage[main]/Zoneminder::Install::Ffmpeg/Exec[make-ffmpeg]: Scheduling refresh of Exec[make-install-ffmpeg]
notice: /Stage[main]/Zoneminder::Install::Ffmpeg/Exec[make-install-ffmpeg]: Triggered 'refresh' from 1 events
info: /Stage[main]/Zoneminder::Install::Ffmpeg/Exec[make-install-ffmpeg]: Scheduling refresh of Exec[make-install-libs-ffmpeg]
notice: /Stage[main]/Zoneminder::Install::Ffmpeg/Exec[make-install-libs-ffmpeg]: Triggered 'refresh' from 1 events
notice: /Stage[main]/Zoneminder::Install::Zoneminder/Exec[clone-zoneminder]/returns: executed successfully
notice: /Stage[main]/Zoneminder::Install::Zoneminder/Exec[checkout-release-1.26]/returns: executed successfully
notice: /Stage[main]/Zoneminder::Install::Zoneminder/File[/usr/local/src/zoneminder/configure.sh]/ensure: defined content as '{md5}e76b96210e8f75f3cb0db5791d6d6a7c'
notice: /Stage[main]/Zoneminder::Install::Zoneminder/Exec[configure-zm]/returns: executed successfully
info: /Stage[main]/Zoneminder::Install::Zoneminder/Exec[configure-zm]: Scheduling refresh of Exec[make-zm]
notice: /Stage[main]/Zoneminder::Install::Zoneminder/Exec[make-zm]: Triggered 'refresh' from 1 events
info: /Stage[main]/Zoneminder::Install::Zoneminder/Exec[make-zm]: Scheduling refresh of Exec[make-install-zm]
notice: /Stage[main]/Zoneminder::Install::Zoneminder/Exec[make-install-zm]: Triggered 'refresh' from 1 events
info: /Stage[main]/Zoneminder::Install::Zoneminder/Exec[make-install-zm]: Scheduling refresh of Exec[create-schema]
info: /Stage[main]/Zoneminder::Install::Zoneminder/Exec[make-install-zm]: Scheduling refresh of Exec[ldconfig]
notice: /Stage[main]/Zoneminder::Config/Exec[create-schema]: Triggered 'refresh' from 1 events
info: /Stage[main]/Zoneminder::Config/Exec[create-schema]: Scheduling refresh of Exec[grant-schema-privileges]
notice: /Stage[main]/Zoneminder::Config/Exec[ldconfig]: Triggered 'refresh' from 2 events
notice: /Stage[main]/Zoneminder::Config/Exec[grant-schema-privileges]: Triggered 'refresh' from 1 events
notice: /Stage[main]/Zoneminder::Config/File[/etc/init.d/zm]/ensure: defined content as '{md5}816718d8691479780e48b2749f80f028'
info: Class[Zoneminder::Config]: Scheduling refresh of Service[zm]
info: Class[Zoneminder::Config]: Scheduling refresh of Service[apache2]
notice: /Stage[main]/Zoneminder::Service/Service[apache2]: Triggered 'refresh' from 1 events
notice: /Stage[main]/Zoneminder::Service/Service[zm]/enable: enable changed 'false' to 'true'
notice: /Stage[main]/Zoneminder::Service/Service[zm]: Triggered 'refresh' from 1 events
info: Creating state file /var/lib/puppet/state/state.yaml
notice: Finished catalog run in 565.08 seconds
Visit my blog for ZoneMinder related projects using the Raspberry Pi, Orange Pi, Odroid, and the ESP8266
river100

Post by river100 »

Nice,
. On the first install it all worked ok just no H264 in ffmpeg.
That was using a really nice server with E-2130 V2 16gb ram. I had to deliver it.
so my second try was my old AM3 dual core, I was typing the commands, could have
messed it up. Going to put another HD in it and do it again through the term'
I really want this vers with all the improvements.

Slightly off topic but..
I read a small discussion on one of the Zoneminder pages where someone mentioned getting rid of
storing jpegs in Zoneminder to increase storage space. Just my 2 cents but that happens to
be one thing that makes Zoneminder better than quite a few other solutions. Seems that
the stored jpegs have more detail than a "snapshot" of an mpeg video. I would hate for them to
"dissapear" in Zoneminder. Although I agree that with mega pixel IP cams storage is a problem.
I have seven 1.3MP cams, soon to be ten and they eat HDs.

Thanks again
river100

Post by river100 »

OK Got it this time.

there were two differences between what you did and the instructions

one sudo apt-get install linux-headers-server linux-image-server linux-server

and two, BTW it would not even start with this on the end I took it off and it went
> zmpuppet.txt 2>&1

But, as you can see it has H264. The only error was
warning: Could not retrieve fact fqdn

This time I did it with ssh, same PC, diff' HD
I installed ubuntu server 12.04 LTS using 20gb
of the HD so I can make a Clonezilla image and be done.

ffmpeg -decoders |grep 264
ffmpeg version N-55969-gcc84f30 Copyright (c) 2000-2013 the FFmpeg developers
built on Sep 2 2013 20:49:39 with gcc 4.6 (Ubuntu/Linaro 4.6.3-1ubuntu5)
configuration: --enable-shared --enable-swscale --enable-gpl
libavutil 52. 43.100 / 52. 43.100
libavcodec 55. 31.100 / 55. 31.100
libavformat 55. 15.100 / 55. 15.100
libavdevice 55. 3.100 / 55. 3.100
libavfilter 3. 82.102 / 3. 82.102
libswscale 2. 5.100 / 2. 5.100
libswresample 0. 17.103 / 0. 17.103
libpostproc 52. 3.100 / 52. 3.100
VFS..D h264 H.264 / AVC / MPEG-4 AVC / MPEG-4 part 10 << this was missing on the first puppet install

H264 is important since a lot of the cheaper IP cams on the market only stream
H264. I'm testing a few of them using a remastered ubuntu 11.10 ( Dahua is the current test )
Zoneminder but being able to use 12.03 LTS is great.

Thank You !! knnniggett and all the other guys to name a few
Phil, kylejohnson, mastertheknife.. others
river100

Post by river100 »

Typo 12.04 LTS
"Zoneminder but being able to use 12.03 LTS is great."
knight-of-ni

Post by knight-of-ni »

river100 wrote: one sudo apt-get install linux-headers-server linux-image-server linux-server

and two, BTW it would not even start with this on the end I took it off and it went
> zmpuppet.txt 2>&1
Performing a "sudo apt-get upgrade" from the command will exclude kernel updates. The update will alert you a newer kernel is available, but it will not install it. To upgrade to a newer kernel you have to call it directly as I showed. This is simply a preference. It is not required.

The second line "> zmpuppet.txt 2>&1" redirects all output from the screen to the file called zmpuppet.txt. When you executed that statement, it was probably running just fine. However since the output was redirected, you would have simply been looking at a blinking cursor until it finished.
river100 wrote: H264 is important since a lot of the cheaper IP cams on the market only stream
H264. I'm testing a few of them using a remastered ubuntu 11.10 ( Dahua is the current test )
Zoneminder but being able to use 12.03 LTS is great.
You actually hit on a very good reason to, one day, change the way zoneminder handles these kinds of cameras. The issue isn't so much about storage space as it is about cpu resources. In order to save video as jpegs, zoneminder must first decode the stream in real time, but what isn't mentioned in the H.264 sales pitch is how cpu intensive decoding an H.264 stream really is. What you will find is even a high end server will only be able to decode a relatively small number of H.264 cameras before the cpu resources are exhausted. In time as H.264 and high(er) camera resolutions become more prevalent, this will become a greater problem.

So now you know what ths issue is, but what hasn't been addressed is the solution. Right now this is not even a priority. It's simply a discussion. I can tell you that nearly all of us like zoneminder for many of the same reasons so, in reference to your previously stated concern, I wouldn't worry about any favorite features going away. What I would encourage you to do is continue to participate in the discussion.

Note that this statement represents my opinion and does not necessarily represent those of anyone else.