Mageia 2 released with ZoneMinder

Support and queries relating to third party Live CDs and DVD, VM images and other packaged distributions
Barry Jackson

Re: Mageia 2 released with ZoneMinder

Post by Barry Jackson »

Hi - Thanks for your comments. Sorry it's been a while - for some reason I don't seem to be getting topic reply notifications from this forum.
bb99 wrote:I did not choose the default repository (mirror) when installing. The one I did use didn't have ZM so I changed several times until I found one that did
Not sure why you would end up in that situation. ZoneMinder is in the core/release repository, which is enabled by default. EDIT - sorry I just noticed the "(mirror)" in your post - OK depending on your location Mageia selects a geographically suitable mirror. Some mirrors may not have been synced when you tried to install.
Permissions: I really don't remember details, had to chmod www-data best I can remember.
You should not need to change any permissions and I don't recognize "www-data" - what was the full path?
ZM did work from the link provided at the end of runing the installation script above but I'm guessing that is running as root...
No. zm runs as apache.
Yes - I have donated!
kfelgs

Post by kfelgs »

Anyone having the same problem with the disk space filling up really quickly using this distro? Zoneminder show that I'm 50% full in just a few days when I have only one camera recording and I have a 1 TB drive that I just put this disto on. Very strange. Any helpful suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
Barry Jackson

Post by Barry Jackson »

kfelgs wrote:Anyone having the same problem with the disk space filling up really quickly using this distro? Zoneminder show that I'm 50% full in just a few days when I have only one camera recording and I have a 1 TB drive that I just put this disto on. Very strange. Any helpful suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
Did you read /usr/share/doc/zoneminder/README.Mageia?
In particular paragraph 4.
Having done that then this should help:-
https://forums.mageia.org/en/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2763
Yes - I have donated!
Bernd

Post by Bernd »

Barry Jackson wrote:The new release of Mageia includes ZoneMinder in the repositories.

Code: Select all

$ su
(enter root password)
# zmsetup
After answering a few questions ZoneMinder will be started ready for use.

!
On a fresh Mageia 2
bash: zmsetup: Kommando nicht gefunden.

what is the failure ? zmsetup is not working.
ihr

Post by ihr »

Hi Forum,

I have just installed Mageia-2 and is trying to install ZoneMinder.
Unfortunately it isn't possible due to unsatisfied perl(Device::SerialPort). :( :(
How can i overcome this error ?

Regards
ihr :D
Barry Jackson

Post by Barry Jackson »

@ihr
Hi - I suspect that you do not have your media sources set up correctly.
Go to MCC -> Configure Media Sources for Install and Update
Select all media shown and click the Remove button.to remove any entries that are there.
Now Click the Add button.
Select Full set of sources and follow the prompts.
Now try to install Zoneminder again.

@Bernd
Did you install Zoneminder?
First set up your media sources as above.
Now in MCC -> Install and Remove Software
Type Zoneminder in the search box and hit ENTER
Check the box against the version shown with the correct arch (i586 or x86_64) of your installation and click the Apply button.
After installation you can run zmsetup.

MCC = Mageia Control Center found in Menu -> Tools -> System Tools or on the panel.
EDIT You will need to change the selectors (top left) to All:All or ZoneMinder won't be found.

Sorry for the late replies - sadly this forum fails to send topic reply notifications.
Last edited by Barry Jackson on Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yes - I have donated!
ihr

Post by ihr »

@Barry Jackson
Hi Barry,
Thanks for your reply, and sorry for the late responce - I've been away on vacation.
Anyway, your suggestion did the trick, and i'm now running zoneminder. Unfortunately i don't have a camera at the moment. but awaiting an APEXIS APM-H803-MPC-WS anyday now. I'ts a PT camera, and i'm anxious to see if control of the camera works in the Mageia version of zoneminder.
Thanks again - ihr
railstop

Post by railstop »

This is a great build. Problem is There is no access from outside the box. I'm fairly noob at linux, but not scared. Cams look great. Just need access from outside. Thanks for the work!! :D
Barry Jackson

Post by Barry Jackson »

railstop wrote:This is a great build. Problem is There is no access from outside the box. I'm fairly noob at linux, but not scared. Cams look great. Just need access from outside. Thanks for the work!! :D
Mageia has a firewall enabled by default.
Go to "MCC-> Security->Set up your Personal Firewall" and check the Web server box then OK and follow the prompts.
Yes - I have donated!
railstop

Post by railstop »

Barry Jackson wrote:
railstop wrote:This is a great build. Problem is There is no access from outside the box. I'm fairly noob at linux, but not scared. Cams look great. Just need access from outside. Thanks for the work!! :D
Mageia has a firewall enabled by default.
Go to "MCC-> Security->Set up your Personal Firewall" and check the Web server box then OK and follow the prompts.
Worked perfectly, thanks. One more thing. Monitoring from another machine produces very choppy video, is there any way to get that to smooth out? I have adjusted the shared memory settings and nothing appears to work. These are coming off USB cameras at the moment.

EDIT: I had tested zmlarch live cd on the same hardware. It had smooth monitoring across the network. I setteled on Mageia simply because it is easier.
Barry Jackson

Post by Barry Jackson »

If I understand correctly, this version does not depend on shared memory settings as it is built with mmap enabled.

Is it OK when viewed on the local machine? If so, what do you see in /var/log/httpd/error_log ?
You can use:

tailf /var/log/httpd/error_log
to monitor apache error messages in real time.

Try setting the fps max for each camera to 4fps - you may be attempting to run at too high a frame rate.

EDIT
I just realized something.
Please try :-

su
urpmi jpeg-devel
zmrestart
and let me know if you see any improvement.
Yes - I have donated!
railstop

Post by railstop »

1: The log shows this 7 times and thats it
[Mon Sep 24 21:24:34 2012] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] PHP Warning: strtotime(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/Denver' for 'MDT/-6.0/DST'
2: I have tried many frame rates, including your suggested 4fps, no change.

3: I tried urpmi jpeg-devel It seems to have helped. I see one frame every 10sec or so now. was about one frame every 20-30sec.
Barry Jackson

Post by Barry Jackson »

To fix those messages add your timezone info to /etc/php.ini on the client, for example my entry in php-ini is:

[Date]
; Defines the default timezone used by the date functions
; http://php.net/date.timezone
;date.timezone =
// London, England, Europe
date.timezone = "Europe/London"
date.default_latitude = 51.500181
date.default_longitude = -0.12619
There is a list here:
http://uk.php.net/manual/es/datetime.co ... e.timezone

I would suspect that some process is using all your resources on either client or server.
Try running

on both to check.

I am assuming that the server is on your local lan and not remote over www ? If it's over www then your bandwidth needs to be considered.
Yes - I have donated!
tibetfreedom

Post by tibetfreedom »

Hi,
I have installed the latest B3 of Magiea and would like to install zone minder, I have updated the B3 install when installing B3 so it's the latest…
I only have ssh access to the server…
What do I need to do to install zone minder ?
Thanks.