Decent "bullet" cam?

Post here to ask any questions about hardware suitability, configuration in ZoneMinder, or experiences. If you just want to know if something works with ZoneMinder or not, please check the Hardware Compatibility sections in the forum, and the Wiki first. Also search this topic as well.
themagicm

Decent "bullet" cam?

Post by themagicm »

Currently I have a server running CentOS 6.3, ZM 1.25 and a DCS-932L camera via wifi. Works fine. I tried the Foscam FI8905W and they are the slowest pieces of junk, losing connectivity. I like the look of a bullet type cam (or the FI8905) because it stands out and blatantly obvious that you're recording.

I know that with these el-cheapo cameras you get what you pay for, but is there something like that Foscam that has a faster interface?
Carrier82

Re: Decent "bullet" cam?

Post by Carrier82 »

Perhaps some "decent" make without wifi is more suitable? My Foscam has low fps as well. IQeye, Acti and Axis seem to perform much better. But performance comes with a price.
themagicm

Post by themagicm »

Yea you're right. There are much better non-wifi cameras, but I guess cheap and good isnt an option.
bkamen

Post by bkamen »

I bought a couple of outdoor mounted bullet cams from PartsExpress.com (under the bran Talos) -- they're now $40 or so each. (the 420 series)

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/pshowde ... er=334-136

I've had pretty good luck with them. ANYTHING composite video is going to lack in quality compared to S-Video or straight to digital.

They have IR LED's for night vis and sit in some zones with motion-detection lights. So they switch from BW/Color automatically fairly well.

That said, they were cheap and for what I use them for -- I'm pretty content with them.

Note: I've had them for over a year and the black anodization is beginning to bleach out to a copper color -- and I made it a point to use loc-tite blue on the main mounting screws (both in the cam body and base) so they don't come loose. Otherwise, they will. :D
JustinMartinez

Post by JustinMartinez »

yes cam looks very effective indeed.. I am trying to get new cam at affordable prices and surely you have shared very good option..