Prefered "flavor" of Linux?

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.25.x releases only.
crackle49

Prefered "flavor" of Linux?

Post by crackle49 »

Hello all;

I have been banging my head against a wall trying to get Zoneminder installed and running for a while. In the process of doing that I have read a lot of tips and forums trying to figure it out. The best I have come up with so far is a console page with the run mode "stopped" and I have been unable to get beyond that.

In reading the vast amount of information out there on Zoneminder, I have come to realise that there are some versions of Linux that people seem to be having an easier time getting Zoneminder running on. I am using Fedora 17 on both a netbook (the prefered target) and a high powered desktop computer with the same results on both.

My question is; Is there a "recomended" version of Linux that Zoneminder is relatively easy to set up on?
knight-of-ni

Re: Prefered "flavor" of Linux?

Post by knight-of-ni »

Zoneminder is in the Ubuntu 12.04 repositories. In theory, installing zoneminder is as simple as "apt-get install zoneminder". All prerequisites should get installed automatically and you should not have to compile anything.

Since old habits die hard, I have yet to use this method myself. I'm sure others can speak to how well this works in practice.
Visit my blog for ZoneMinder related projects using the Raspberry Pi, Orange Pi, Odroid, and the ESP8266
All of these can be found at https://zoneminder.blogspot.com/
crackle49

Post by crackle49 »

Thanks for your input knnniggett, I did try that. After getting Ubuntu 12.04 running on a USB stick (finally) I did try what you suggested. But it seems that Unbutu does not know what (or where) zoneminder is.

After trying to get the program running (in any form, on any system) for the past four days I find myself questioning if it really is a viable program.

If there is anyone out there who ACTUALLY has this program running, please tell me how you did it.
knight-of-ni

Post by knight-of-ni »

If Ubuntu is telling you that it doesn't know what Zoneminder is then you need to turn on the Universe repository.
I can assure you that Zoneminder 1.25 is indeed there:

Code: Select all

abauer@E350Laptop:~$ sudo apt-get install zoneminder
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
The following extra packages will be installed:
  apache2 apache2-mpm-prefork apache2-utils apache2.2-bin apache2.2-common
  ffmpeg javascript-common libapache2-mod-php5 libapr1 libaprutil1
  libaprutil1-dbd-sqlite3 libaprutil1-ldap libarchive-zip-perl libav-tools
  libconvert-binhex-perl libdate-manip-perl libdbd-mysql-perl libdbi-perl
  libdevice-serialport-perl libemail-date-format-perl libgnutls-openssl27
  libhtml-template-perl libjs-mootools libmime-lite-perl libmime-tools-perl
  libmime-types-perl libnet-daemon-perl libphp-serialization-perl
  libplrpc-perl libsys-mmap-perl libyaml-syck-perl mysql-client-5.5
  mysql-client-core-5.5 mysql-server mysql-server-5.5 mysql-server-core-5.5
  nullmailer php5 php5-cli php5-common php5-mysql wwwconfig-common
Suggested packages:
  apache2-doc apache2-suexec apache2-suexec-custom php-pear
  libipc-sharedcache-perl libterm-readkey-perl tinyca mailx php5-suhosin
  mysql-client postgresql-client
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  apache2 apache2-mpm-prefork apache2-utils apache2.2-bin apache2.2-common
  ffmpeg javascript-common libapache2-mod-php5 libapr1 libaprutil1
  libaprutil1-dbd-sqlite3 libaprutil1-ldap libarchive-zip-perl libav-tools
  libconvert-binhex-perl libdate-manip-perl libdbd-mysql-perl libdbi-perl
  libdevice-serialport-perl libemail-date-format-perl libgnutls-openssl27
  libhtml-template-perl libjs-mootools libmime-lite-perl libmime-tools-perl
  libmime-types-perl libnet-daemon-perl libphp-serialization-perl
  libplrpc-perl libsys-mmap-perl libyaml-syck-perl mysql-client-5.5
  mysql-client-core-5.5 mysql-server mysql-server-5.5 mysql-server-core-5.5
  nullmailer php5 php5-cli php5-common php5-mysql wwwconfig-common zoneminder
0 upgraded, 43 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 40.9 MB of archives.
After this operation, 140 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]?  
If you are loooking for simple, it doesn't get any easier.

If you are interested in CentOS, I've created a Zoneminder rpm and placed it under the Contributions forum. You will need to add a couple of third party repositories however so it's not quite as easy as Ubuntu.
Visit my blog for ZoneMinder related projects using the Raspberry Pi, Orange Pi, Odroid, and the ESP8266
knight-of-ni

Post by knight-of-ni »

Here is some off-topic advice: If you want to make a Linux bootable USB stick the easy way, then try Unetbootin. Not only is it in the Ubuntu repository, but there are also a win32 & Mac binaries for it. You can get those directly from the Unetbootin website.

http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

Kind of like your first microwave, you'll wonder how you got by prior to that. Eh, for the younger crowd... kind of like your first smart phone.
crackle49

Post by crackle49 »

I don't know what I am doing wrong. Copy and paste from Terminal below.

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo apt-get install zoneminder
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Package zoneminder is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source

E: Package 'zoneminder' has no installation candidate
Flasheart

Post by Flasheart »

Unless zm has been removed from ubuntu, it's probably that you don't have the right repositories enabled. Ubuntu names them strangely but try looking in /etc/apt/sources.list and uncommenting any deb lines there are and do an apt-get update, or go through the package management software and enable as many repositories as you can find.

Personally I use debian and although the version of zm is now several years old, 1.24.2, it works well enough and I can get a new server running zm in about five minutes. (Shared memory fix and sometimes a symlink for the web pages)
knight-of-ni

Post by knight-of-ni »

crackle49, like I said previously, Zoneminder is in the Universe repository. Your first step should be to verify whether or not you've got it turned on. Go here to learn how: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Repositories/Ubuntu
superaj

Post by superaj »

I have Ubuntu 12.04 and this worked perfectly for me:

http://www.zoneminder.com/wiki/index.ph ... e_easy_way
bb99

Post by bb99 »

Built the 12.04 version myself (not using any guide) without problems. I think knnniggett gave the correct answer here.
kerchen

Post by kerchen »

Just yesterday I managed to get ZM running on Fedora 17. I primarily followed the instructions on the ZM Fedora wiki, but there were a few caveats and extra things I had to do, which I documented on my blog (which I can't link to here because I'm a new user, but you can find it at synapticcircle point com slash technopolis). ;)

Paul
crackle49

Post by crackle49 »

Hello All;

Thank you all so much for your help and guidance. I finally got the thing up and running :-)
crackle49

Post by crackle49 »

Hello again all;

Well, I did get zoneminder running under Ubuntu. However, its PAINFULLY slow and almost totally unreliable. If this is as good as it gets, I fear I have just wasted a lot of time and resources. I am going to try to optimize the system in hopes that might improve things.
bb99

Post by bb99 »

It should be running in real time and very reliable; mine was with single core, 1 gig mem, 4 cameras on PV-149. If load is your issue you might want to try Mageria's build, it incorporates Mastertheknife's performance code. I did build the F17 option above and it works just fine also. His additional instructions are at synapticcircle.com/technopolis.
tibetfreedom

Post by tibetfreedom »

crackle49 wrote:Hello all;

I have been banging my head against a wall trying to get Zoneminder installed and running for a while. In the process of doing that I have read a lot of tips and forums trying to figure it out. The best I have come up with so far is a console page with the run mode "stopped" and I have been unable to get beyond that.

In reading the vast amount of information out there on Zoneminder, I have come to realise that there are some versions of Linux that people seem to be having an easier time getting Zoneminder running on. I am using Fedora 17 on both a netbook (the prefered target) and a high powered desktop computer with the same results on both.

My question is; Is there a "recomended" version of Linux that Zoneminder is relatively easy to set up on?
Use Mageia

https://www.mageia.org/en/map/

Zoneminder is literally a one line install

urpmi --install zoneminder

then

zmsetup

done…

even works with eyeZm the great iPhone app for remote viewing / control…
I worked with the guy who does this package and we got eyeZm working well….