Adding a monitor kills the other monitor

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.25.x releases only.
racelife

Adding a monitor kills the other monitor

Post by racelife »

when adding a second monitor it makes both monitors show the video from the second monitor.
to get the first one working again I have to delete the second and restart zm
the first source is video0 channel 0
the second one is video0 channel 1

it is an ebay 4 port one chip card
zoneminder 1.25 on ubuntu server 11.04 32bit using the tutorial in the wiki for 64bit.

Any help on diagnosing , troubleshooting or just what to look for would be great.
thanks
bb99

Re: Adding a monitor kills the other monitor

Post by bb99 »

Turn off (uncheck) V4L_MULTI_BUFFER, also change CAPTURES_PER_FRAME to a value of 2.
racelife

Post by racelife »

Turning off V4L_MULTI_BUFFER worked and changing the value of CAPTURES_PER_FRAME to 2 works to stabilize the picture but slows the frame rate. can I adjust the frame rate to compensate or will that work even if I have all inputs running? I don't know if it is related but I have a second card in the next slot and with modect on when video0 chan0 detects motion it also alarms video 1 ch1 (ch0 plug is broken so is not used) why would that be? they are separate cards. I have never seen this happen before and all the other settings are the same :?:
bb99

Post by bb99 »

Yep. You've run into the limitation of using multiple channels on an individual chip. Increasing "capture per frame" to 2 decreases the chips total capability by 1/2. So if you start out with 30 fps per chip, changing this value to 2, it's now 15 fps. Add a second camera (channel) and the chips max. capability would be 7.5 fps per camera. The settings in ZM are global so the second card is affected also; what puzzles me is that channel 0 triggers channel 1 on the second card after the changes. Only thing I can think of is that the channels have been inadvertently linked (linked monitors) on the monitor general tab...
racelife

Post by racelife »

Thanks for your answers! I think it might be linked because in all of the general tabs it lists all the other monitors but in the one I am having trouble with the monitor causing the alarm is highlighted if that means it is linked how do I unlink it? I cant seem to make the highlight go away.
(nevermind I got it just had to hold ctrl down to deselect it)

Again Thank you for your Help!