Expanding RAID-5 volume that events are stored on

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.24.x releases only.
gregom

Expanding RAID-5 volume that events are stored on

Post by gregom »

I posted this in the 1.23.3 section because thats what i'm running, but it seems a ghost town. This question probably applies to multiple versions so I figured i'd ask here for more chances of a response.

I have a standard build with 4x 1.5 TB drives in RAID-5 on a hardware controller which is used only to record events to. Unfortunately I forgot I only had 3 drives in the server, resulting in lower capacity. I've been recording on it for a few weeks now and noticed I wasn't getting as much video as I usually do. So I have successfully added another 1.5 TB drive and expanded the RAID-5 volume to the capacity it is supposed to be at.

Now I think i'm going to use GParted live CD to expand my ext3 /var partition from 3 TB to 4.5 TB. My only concern is how will ZM respond to this. Has anyone done this before? Will it just work and start using the space or is there something else I may need to do? This of course will be done outside of the OS and thus the ZM services would not be running...

Thoughts?
Go3Team

Re: Expanding RAID-5 volume that events are stored on

Post by Go3Team »

I have a RAID 6 Array that started with 6 drives. I've expanded it drive by drive (14 times?) to the current 20 with no ill effects.
kingofkya

Post by kingofkya »

Yeah it will be fine ZM itself really dosen't care.
gregom

Post by gregom »

That's what I was hoping for... Thanks for the replies.