New to camera setup. This camera DID work with zm a few year

Post here to indicate any hardware you have used and which is known to work with ZoneMinder. Not for questions.
alltech

Re: New to camera setup. This camera DID work with zm a few

Post by alltech »

I do not think it is a power issue with the camera. Current and voltage to camera are correct. The camera will either work or not. Signal is working to. It is slightly loose "Signal will be lost if the bnc is wiggled" but the signal "dba" is getting though and being processed. I think it could have something to do with refresh rate or sync rate "old tvs use to have what was termed a horizontal control" in which, if turned to far in either direction, would cause the image to roll past the screen in a vertical direction.

I did find a thread on zoneminder with the same issue, but with more chips on the card. What do all the settings in bttv.conf mean? I think that is where the issue lies.
bb99

Post by bb99 »

Some post making changes in modprobe.conf, some in bttv.conf so it depends which distribution you're using but as long as the bttv settings are kept the same in both I don't think it much matters. The settings are outlined in one of the links I gave you earilier. They tell the system which hardware device you're using and how to work with it. Card=77 designates you are using the GrandTec Multi Capture Card (Bt878) which does look the same as yours does but hard to know on clones. radio=0 designates no radio tuner, chroma_agc=1 designates color and automatic gain control are enabled, the rest I don't remember would need to look up. Anyway the card number is the important one for you right now. It's strange it wasn't identified correctly when inserted so I'd like you to try something first before changing card types. Remove the bttv.conf and delete the bttv options from modeprobe.conf save and shut down your machine. Remove the card and move to another slot, hookup the connectors and reboot and see what happens. Check modprobe.conf (or bttv.conf or both) to see if it was identified differently and of course recheck in GUVCViewer.
alltech

Post by alltech »

bb99,
okay thanks for the simplicity of the instructions. If I wipe the bttv.conf file, then a new bttv.conf file will be generated with perhaps the right config information?
bb99

Post by bb99 »

Exactly. Or not created at all and modprobe.conf entries recreated with correct settings what ever the system needs.
bb99

Post by bb99 »

Found some better info on cards then I previously posted: http://www.mjmwired.net/kernel/Document ... DLIST.bttv

Tuners: http://tldp.org/HOWTO/BTTV/modprobe.html
alltech

Post by alltech »

Out of all those cards, which ones have been the most successful ones to install?

I am looking to make a close up survalience setup. I want to put some zoom lenses on my camera and get some drug dealing recorded in my area. Will Zoneminder eventually have the option for PTZ functionality?

Lastly, I want it to OCR license plates. Is there modules or libraries that can do this?
alltech

Post by alltech »

Well did as you said. I used modprobe bttv and got this reply:

modprobe bttv
WARNING: Deprecated config file /etc/modprobe.conf, all config files belong into /etc/modprobe.d/.

the card has been switched into a different card slot. I will be doing a google search of this error and see what it means.

Soo, I moved as per instruction on http://www.basiclinuxcommands.com/2010/ ... -file.html

I moved /etc/modprobe.conf to /etc/modeprobe.conf.OLD and executed modprobe bttv.

The command responded and went back to the shell prompt. I checked to see if the new bttv.conf file was generated in /etc/modprobe.d/ directly and it is not. Whats next?
alltech

Post by alltech »

Did a lspci and did come back with the card information below

04:01.0 Multimedia video controller: Brooktree Corporation Bt878 Video Capture (rev 11)
04:01.1 Multimedia controller: Brooktree Corporation Bt878 Audio Capture (rev 11)

So, I wonder why lspci | grep bt787 would echo no reply and go back to the shell prompt?

What would cause modprobe bt878 not generate the bttv.conf file?

Seems all distros are different. Found the message in ubuntu but its called var/log/syslog

So here is my card output:
Aug 2 09:52:29 zm kernel: [ 21.502164] bttv: driver version 0.9.18 loaded
Aug 2 09:52:29 zm kernel: [ 21.502172] bttv: using 8 buffers with 2080k (520 pages) each for capture
Aug 2 09:52:29 zm kernel: [ 21.504192] bttv: Bt8xx card found (0).
Aug 2 09:52:29 zm kernel: [ 21.504225] bttv 0000:04:01.0: PCI INT A -> GSI 17 (level, low) -> IRQ 17
Aug 2 09:52:29 zm kernel: [ 21.504245] bttv0: Bt878 (rev 17) at 0000:04:01.0, irq: 17, latency: 64, mmio: 0xd0001000
Aug 2 09:52:29 zm kernel: [ 21.504282] bttv0: using: Modular Technology MM201/MM202/MM205/MM210/MM215 PCTV, bt878 [card=23,

I changed the card from 23 back to 77. The vidio out on guvview has improved. No flashing bottom third of screen. Still ghosted image with at least two of the same vidio overlapping each other.
bb99

Post by bb99 »

Caught your other two posts, redo is a good option. Kross is right but at the reboot after zeroing out config. new hardware will be configured. Good luck
alltech

Post by alltech »

bb99,

I got flicker free vidio on xawtv!!! But, I am not out of the woods yet!

I am still getting no source "red /dev/vidio0 (0)" in the zoneminder web site.

I am going to redirect this thread to the version of the software now that the card and camera are working. I think this is some kind of issue that is causing errors in sysconfig. You can look at sysconfig and perhaps, give me a idea what it could be.

http://www.zoneminder.com/forums/viewto ... 944#p70944

BTW, tried compiling from source, and it was a no go. But do not need to do it anyway. Thanks for all your help though. You have done a good job helping me along the way.
bb99

Post by bb99 »

Post your source tab settings for the monitor; I'm suggesting that's what we're down to. Easy from here (I hope).