[SOLVED] How to create a motion detect zone in ZM?

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.24.x releases only.
highmighty

[SOLVED] How to create a motion detect zone in ZM?

Post by highmighty »

Hi all,

I installed latest Ubuntu 11.04 and I reconfigured zoneminder but I'm no longer able of defining a motion detect "zone". I sure know where to go but the problem is that I can't specify the four corners of the "zone" I'd like to enable. I only see "Point 1" on the top-left corner of the window but I can't drag it to another location in the window, it stays on the top-left corner which means that this zone would cover 100% of the area which is not what I want obviously.

Have a look at the screenshot to better understand my issue. What am I doing wrong? How can I specify a zone? It was working just fine previously, before the new clean install...

Thank you all for your time and support,

highmighty
Point 1 can't be moved to another location and I don't see any other points to move (ex: 2, 3, 4)
Point 1 can't be moved to another location and I don't see any other points to move (ex: 2, 3, 4)
zone_issue.png (206.61 KiB) Viewed 11336 times
Last edited by highmighty on Thu May 12, 2011 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
PacoLM

Re: How to create a motion detect zone in ZM?

Post by PacoLM »

Hi,

Sounds like you have some component of zoneminder is not up to date. Configuring zones should show each point location as an integer, so you could edit it manually or move the location by using the mouse. Try to update your system using the apt-get update / apt-get upgrade to see if any package shoud be updated.

Hope it helps,

PacoLM

After more than 15 years, no longer using ZM as surveillance system.
Now in the dark side, using a commercial system...
highmighty

Post by highmighty »

Thanks, I tried apt-get update & apt-get upgrade and unfortunately it still doesn't work, I still can't configure motion detection areas?! I then uninstalled Zoneminder and reinstalled it and I still have the same issue... what else?

Thank you all for your time and support,

highmighty
SVLaller

Post by SVLaller »

Hi,
I also have this problem with Ubuntu 11.04 & Zoneminder 1.24.2. I did a clean install Ubuntu and get the Zoneminder from packages.

SVLaller
SVLaller

Post by SVLaller »

Hi,
I think I found a solution. I copied the Mootools 1.2.1 to /usr/share/zoneminder/tools/mootools directory, but the Zoneminder search another place.

The path in /usr/share/zoneminder/skins/classic/includes/function.php:

Code: Select all

<script type="text/javascript" src="/javascript/mootools/mootools.js"></script>
   <script type="text/javascript" src="/javascript/mootools/mootools-more.js"></script>
I changed this to:

<script type="text/javascript" src="tools/mootools/mootools-1.2.1-core-nc.js"></script>
   <script type="text/javascript" src="tools/mootools/mootools-1.2-more-nc.js"></script>
   <script type="text/javascript" src="js/mootools.ext.js"></script>
Now working the area select and montage grid function.

SVLaller
highmighty

Post by highmighty »

Hi SVLaller, thanks for sharing. I'd like to give it a try but I can't.

I don't know which version of "mootools" I'm using but I can tell that it's located here on my machine:

/usr/share/javascript/mootools
What version of mootools it is, I have no clue... if it isn't 1.2.1, where can I download that specific version? Their website list only version 1.2.5 and their latest 1.3...

Also, I've edited the "function.php" file but I couldn't find the right lines to edit (/usr/share/zoneminder/skins/classic/includes/function.php), there are no such lines as these:

<script type="text/javascript" src="/javascript/mootools/mootools.js"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="/javascript/mootools/mootools-more.js"></script>
What am I doing wrong?

Thank you for your time,

highmighty
Tumphu

Post by Tumphu »

I've been fighting with this same problem... I've got 11.04 Server 64-bit running and istalled zoneminder with: sudo apt-get install zoneminder.

When I've installed it, I can see that the mootools folder wasnt even created and that why I believe there is a problem.

When I downloaded installation package from download section and unpacked it, I found that there is that mootools folder including mootools 1.2.1 version files. I tried to go with the short way and made dir "mootools" and copied files to there, then I modified that .php file, but didnt help, I only received error message.

So... I think that at the moment, if you're using newest release of ubuntu, you need install it from downloaded package, not with atp-get.

I havent tried it yet, if someone tries that, please report here...

And ye... The right file to modify is /usr/share/zoneminder/skins/classic/includes/functions.php

So its functions.php, not function.php
--
Regards
Tuomo from Finland
highmighty

Post by highmighty »

Using synaptic, I've found out that I'm currently using version 1.2.5 of mootools. I can't see where I could get version 1.2.1 installed instead, is there a web link somewhere?

And true, it is the file "functionS.php"... my mistake!

Thanks again,

highmighty
SVLaller

Post by SVLaller »

Hi,
I think the exact version of MooTools is not important, I use an older one.
Just set the correct path in the /usr/share/zoneminder/skins/classic/includes/functions.php.

SVLaller
Tumphu

Post by Tumphu »

I tried using newer one allready.

I downloaded mootools 1.3.2 (was that the newest, smth like that) to mootools folder then corrected path in functions.php but after that zone settings wont work even that good and when hitting OK for new zone I receive blank error window with OK button.

I havent got enough time lately to test stuff, but I'll do when I've got time, if you wont get it work before that

--
Tuomo
SVLaller

Post by SVLaller »

Don't forget the "root" is the Zoneminder directory in the path.
highmighty

Post by highmighty »

Still using the version 1.2.5 of Mootools, I modified those lines to reflect the proper "mootools" path in "functions.php" file:

Mootools path is:

/usr/share/javascript/mootools
So those lines were modified:

<script type="text/javascript" src="/usr/share/javascript/mootools/mootools.js"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="/usr/share/javascript/mootools/mootools-more.js"></script>
Unfortunately, that didn't help... it was actually worst, Zoneminder wouldn't start at all (stayed in a "Stopped" status) and I could no longer see any "Points" in the "Define motion zones" section, not even Point 1 (as seen in the attached screenshot in post#1), so I reverted the changes and now Zoneminder starts and I can see that "Point 1" is now showing... I still can't move it though :(

P.S. I've contacted the author to let him know about this issue... he might be helpful :)

highmighty
Kialne

Post by Kialne »

Hello Guys,

Using Ubuntu 11.04, ZoneMinder v1.24.2. and the version of mootools installed by Ubuntu (libjs-mootools 1.2.5~debian1.2) :

1) 'mootools' is installed in '/usr/share/javascript/mootools' :
- it's necessary to modify the file '/usr/share/zoneminder/skins/classic/includes/functions.php' in order
to help 'zoneminder' to find the location of 'mootools'.
2) 'mootools.js' and 'mootools-more.js' are links pointing respectively to 'mootools-core.min.js' and 'mootools-more.min.js'.
- this 2 pieces of code don't give me any working results. I replace it by 'mootools-core-nc.js' and 'mootools-more-nc.js'.

And then, creation of motion detect zones is now working for me when I modify the file
'/usr/share/zoneminder/skins/classic/includes/functions.php' in this way :

<script type="text/javascript" src="../javascript/mootools/mootools-core-nc.js"></script>
  <script type="text/javascript" src="../javascript/mootools/mootools-more-nc.js"></script>
I hope my experience can help you.
With best regards,
Kialne
(location Tubize, near from Brussels, Belgium)
highmighty

Re: [SOLVED] How to create a motion detect zone in ZM?

Post by highmighty »

Kialne, you're the man!!

I followed your steps and it worked instantly :)

Thanks again for sharing, Zoneminder rocks!!

Regards,

highmighty
bmw325is89

Re: [SOLVED] How to create a motion detect zone in ZM?

Post by bmw325is89 »

Bumping this as it fixed my issues also-- Thanks Kialne!