Zoneminder 1.24X Viewing Cameras Remotely using Streaming

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.24.x releases only.
metallica1973

Zoneminder 1.24X Viewing Cameras Remotely using Streaming

Post by metallica1973 »

I have a client that wants to see his Zoneminder 1.24X remotely from his home to the office where it resides. The way I have this setup now is using SSH via tunneling, dynamically through his browser and it works ok. He connects from home to his office through the ssh tunnel and look though firefox.The issue with this method is firefox chokes all the time and he has to close the browser or clear the cache for it to work. I was going to configure openvpn and just have him connect this way but wanted to ask the forum of the best way to do this. Also he says that he wants streaming instead of jpeg frames. He says that he cant stand everyone looking like a robot. Can someone shed some light?
kingofkya

Post by kingofkya »

Why are you bothering with VPN or ssh it begin with. Zm has its own authentication method and can just be enabled on the INTERNET . Also for security you can enable ssl.
Eklectick

Post by Eklectick »

Hi

The "choke" thing you are talking about perhaps has to do more with ZM than the connection. I believe this is more of a documented yet not cleared problem with 1.24.x and ajax. Some time ago I found that tinkering with:

Options - (High B/W or Medium B/W or Low B/W) - WEB_H_AJAX_TIMEOUT and using really low values (10 perhaps) made the streaming choking go away and the experience nicer all around without having to close and open Firefox or httpd restart via command line. The downside to this is you do not get the ajax goodies when consulting videos such as moving through stream and little icons in the photo menu.

About watching video and people moving like a robot well I think this is yet up to this version the only way (perhaps I am wrong) being current version not capable of providing an RTSP stream per monitor (I think).

Regards!
metallica1973

Post by metallica1973 »

excellent replies. thank you all