Big problem, updated openssl on ZMLArch, now broke.

Support and queries relating to third party Live CDs and DVD, VM images and other packaged distributions
kp4djt

Big problem, updated openssl on ZMLArch, now broke.

Post by kp4djt »

Folks,
I did a update on ssl because the ntpd daemon was complaining about the libcrypto. so file, now every thing else is complaining about not having the old one, how do I get back to the original files for libcripto. I think it was 0.9.8, now it is 1.0 and nothing wants to work. I need to get back to the old one. I did a pacman update on openssl and that is what hosed things so I need to back out to the older version.

I checked the Arch Linux site, it says to look in /var/cache/pkg, but I did so and there is nothing there. I looked in another area and found all of the
packages on the machine but the old openssl.0.9.8 is not longer in the cach/pkg area.

Is this a full reload or what? Pacman does not want to work it complains about missing libcrypto.0.9.8 along with about anything else.
Chuck Hast -- KP4DJT --
Web site www.wchast.com
ZM demo www.wchast.com/zm
rdmelin

Post by rdmelin »

Sorry about the slow reply. If you haven't given up already:
Boot up the livecd.
Run "bacman" openssl.
Copy the recreated package to your hard drive installation.
Reboot from the harddrive.
Install the package with "pacman -U" <package_file>
kp4djt

Post by kp4djt »

Russ,
Thank you, I fixed it sort of using the sledge hammer approach, I found the old openssl package and untar'd it. It appears to have put the needed files in the right places, I was able to reboot and off it went. There are still files in there that probably need to be replaced, but now I will make note of your info and keep it handy if I do a stupid again (as I know I will). We are all busy I know so do not worry about the delay, I was able to figure out a work around. Anyhow pacman would not work with the new openssl package, I had to get the old one in there anyhow in order to get it back working.

Just invoking pacman to see the short help would cause it to abend with a wrong libcryptsomething-0.9.8 needed.

Perhaps I should go back in there and run the instructions you gave me to clean out the old files. I also found a page that shows how to setup the package manager on the rev level of Arch Linux we are using on the LiveCD. That way when I pull in something it will not complain due to the older files that I think I do not want to touch, like the openssl stuff.

I do have one question, I went to install xawtv and it complained about some of the video libs, I wanted to install it so I could check out some
analogue cameras, I am pretty sure those libs it wanted to trash are the ones that we use to process the video at a faster rate.

What do you recommend for that sort of thing?
Chuck Hast -- KP4DJT --
Web site www.wchast.com
rdmelin

Post by rdmelin »

You can get the src package from here:
http://www.archlinux.org/packages/extra/i686/xawtv/
Extract it, cd to the xawtv folder, and run "makepkg"
This will build the package against the libjpeg installed on the system. Install it with pacman -U ...
kp4djt

Post by kp4djt »

Russ
Thank you I will do it. Also are you still taking funds for the site where the code is stores?
Chuck Hast -- KP4DJT --
Web site www.wchast.com
rdmelin

Post by rdmelin »

I've let the hosting site go. jameswilson has put the iso up here:
http://www.thesecurityinstaller.co.uk/c ... h-live-cd/
Curtis Hall also made his sourceforge hosting available but I havent been able to upload the file through their web browser only interface.
I'll update the sticky post to point to the new location