Upgraded to Ubuntu 10.4, want to uninstall&reinstall ZM

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.24.x releases only.
Conchar

Upgraded to Ubuntu 10.4, want to uninstall&reinstall ZM

Post by Conchar »

I recently upgraded from Ubuntu 9.10 to 10.4 and after the upgrade ZM broke. I am able to pull up the http://localhost/zm page, but I am unable to start the service by either the WebUI or through the terminal with 'sudo service zm start'. When using the terminal, I get the error:

Code: Select all

Starting ZoneMinder: Can't locate ZoneMinder.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /etc/perl /usr/local/lib/perl/5.10.1 /usr/local/share/perl/5.10.1 /usr/lib/perl5 /usr/share/perl5 /usr/lib/perl/5.10 /usr/share/perl/5.10 /usr/local/lib/site_perl) at /usr/local/bin/zmpkg.pl line 46.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/local/bin/zmpkg.pl line 46.
failure
I originally installed ZoneMinder using the SVN (using the instructions posted in the Wiki) however, I want to move away from using the SVN to using apt-get (I'm not that knowledgeable in Linux; simpler would be better). So my main question is:

How do I uninstall ZoneMinder if I used the SVN to install it?

Also, since the upgrade, I haven't been able to view my USB camera via mjpg_streamer. Is this something I should also uninstall and reinstall? I'd rather not have to use the mjpg_streamer program to get the video, I'd much rather have ZM see the camera (Model: Logitech QuickCam Communicate Deluxe) locally, but I haven't figured out how to get it to work properly. I'm kind of hoping reinstalling ZM will fix that problem too. Has anyone else been able to set up a USB Logitech camera directly with ZM? If so, please let me know what settings you used.
kingofkya

Post by kingofkya »

go into the packed manager its under administration.
remove zoneminder and set perl to reinstall
next drop the zm database in mysql.
REBOOT
set shared memory
install zm
reboot

At lest thats what I did.
Conchar

Post by Conchar »

Thanks for the reply, but unfortunately that first step won't work for me. I compiled the source code from the SVN. The rest of the instructions look good though. I would have forgotten about the database, and I have no clue what the shared memory thing is, so if you can elaborate, that would be very helpful.

Should I just try to work backwards from the instructions that I followed to compile the program? Unfortunately, some things happened automatically like initializing the database and perl setup. Like I said before, I'm not all that familiar with Linux so I don't really know where exactly everything installed to. A quick 'locate zm' command found zm mostly in /usr/src/zm and in /var/www/zm, and possibly several more places. Does the compiler automatically change files in /etc/init.d or elsewhere that isn't obvious?
PacoLM

Post by PacoLM »

Hi,

Try deleting the files under the events directory (/var/cache/zoneminder/events), I had to delete them manually, I don't remember exactly the error I got, but was something similar...
Then I also had to reinstall perl5, I believe.

Hope it helps,

PacoLM
Conchar

Post by Conchar »

Hmm... that directory doesn't exist for me. Is that the folder that stores the video events from the web cam? If so, it's located (/var/www/zm/events) for me. Will deleting those also clear the entries in mysql?

I'll give it a try since I don't need any of my old footage.
Renato

Post by Renato »

Here I had same problem, and I solved with this command ;)

ln -s /usr/local/share/perl/5.8.8/ /usr/local/share/perl/5.10.1
[]s,
Renato Pinheiro
www.gpi.ufrj.br
Renato

Post by Renato »

Now I figure out another problem, autostart didn´t works

:(
[]s,
Renato Pinheiro
www.gpi.ufrj.br
Conchar

Post by Conchar »

Renato wrote:Here I had same problem, and I solved with this command ;)

ln -s /usr/local/share/perl/5.8.8/ /usr/local/share/perl/5.10.1
I had to change a little of what you said, since I had perl/5.10.0 instead of 5.8.8. Progress must have been made because the length of the error messages has doubled when trying to start ZM:

Code: Select all

Starting ZoneMinder: Can't locate Sys/Mmap.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /etc/perl /usr/local/lib/perl/5.10.1 /usr/local/share/perl/5.10.1 /usr/lib/perl5 /usr/share/perl5 /usr/lib/perl/5.10 /usr/share/perl/5.10 /usr/local/lib/site_perl) at /usr/local/share/perl/5.10.1/ZoneMinder/Memory/Mapped.pm line 69.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/local/share/perl/5.10.1/ZoneMinder/Memory/Mapped.pm line 69.
Compilation failed in require at /usr/local/share/perl/5.10.1/ZoneMinder/Memory.pm line 120.
Compilation failed in require at /usr/local/share/perl/5.10.1/ZoneMinder.pm line 37.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/local/share/perl/5.10.1/ZoneMinder.pm line 37.
Compilation failed in require at /usr/local/bin/zmpkg.pl line 46.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/local/bin/zmpkg.pl line 46.
failure
At the very least, I've found another 'hidden' folder where ZM has placed some files. Is there somewhere I can look up all the locations ZM has placed or changed files? I'm more interested in uninstall/reinstall rather than trying out dozens of patches. I do appreciate the help people have given so far though.
Conchar

Post by Conchar »

Well, I made some progress with this. I found some very old directions how to uninstall ZM by entering the directory with the source code (/usr/src/zm) and typing "sudo make uninstall".

It went through a lot of text and hung up a long time on the web folders that held the events. Eventually the process timed out, spit out another wall of text and printed this message:
ZM wrote:Uninstall is unsafe and deprecated, the uninstallation was not performed.
Please check the list above carefully, there may be errors.
Remove the appropriate files manually.
Sorry for the inconvenience.
Above was a nice list of things to "unlink" (I'm not sure what that means exactly, but a quick search will answer that for me). It looks like it wiped out most of the files, I'll have to go through and clean up the rest, but this looks like what I was looking for.