Anyone used one of these cameras

Support and queries relating to all previous versions of ZoneMinder
kevin_robson

Anyone used one of these cameras

Post by kevin_robson »

I'm after a cheap IR camera that will work in the dark at a range of maybe 10 metres - my house to the street.
Has anyone bought one of these:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dllV ... 75738&rd=1

Ebay is full of them but they are very cheap. Or has anyone else got a good recommendation that will give clear pictures in the dark over wireless for under $80, or am I dreaming at that price?

Thanks in advance
kevin_robson

New Link

Post by kevin_robson »

Sorry, just realised the link didnt work. Please tyy this one instead:

http://cgi1.ebay.co.uk/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI ... ner=888803
thelight

Post by thelight »

I got some of these camera's

which claim to have 15m IR led's fitted. In reality the real effective distance appears to be more like 5m or less. At under 5m everything goes green and is relatively sharp and bright, anything over that (i had to mount them quite high on the house) and they are much less effective.

example

We are currently testing some low wattage lighting to try and help the night vision a little
lazyleopard

Post by lazyleopard »

I've not used that exact set-up, but I've used various similar components. I'll guess the LEDs will provide reasonable illumination for a few metres. At 10 metres I'd expect the contrast to be too low for ZoneMinder to see much. The radio link will suffer interference at times, and will have trouble with walls, windows, floors, etc. Careful antenna alignment will help, but can be tricky. If you can get them really cheaply then they may be worth experimenting with, but it looks a bit as if there's profit hidden in the postal charge quoted...
Rick Hewett
kevin_robson

Post by kevin_robson »

Thanks for the sample pic. As you say the quality is not great. I doubt if someone could be recognised from that, which is my ultimate aim. When the shot was taken was it pitch black or streetlit? We have a streetlight opposite the house which I though might help - though it is the orange light type.
Also, how much was the camera you pointed me at - I couldn't find it from their main page?

Anyone else got any suggestions on how much I would have to spend to get a decent enough night picture to identify someone?

Thanks
curtishall

Post by curtishall »

You can never go wrong with wired cameras. I have wireless CMOS cameras which are mainly meant for indoor use. I have some (not so cheap) CCD wired cameras, after using the 15% zoneminder discount (coupon code zoneminder), start at around $105 for a CCD camera with a fixed lens:
http://www.bluecherry.net/store/catalog ... ucts_id=86

These are weather-proof, come with the mounting bracket, power supply, and lens (3.6mm).
I might be able to order different lens if needed for whatever application. The $105 camera starts out with a range of 20 feet (12 IR). Next one up is a camera for $140 (everything included) that has a range of 40 feet (24 IR).

Assuming your climate is good (ie tempature doesn't drop below 15 degrees F) throw these guys outside for great outdoor justice.

Shipping is $4.99 (flat) in the US, more out of the country.
thelight

Post by thelight »

There is street lightning, but it is very bad, those awful orange gas bulbs which dont really light much up, if you walk up the drive where the camera points it is essentially pitch black. If I ramp the camera up to full resolution the image quality does improve a little, but not enough for a positive ID which is why we are investigating some extra lighting.

The link to the camera is here

The one titled: 15 Metre IR, Sony CCD, 480 TVL, Long Range Camera (Models: VIS404, VIS406, VIS412)

I have a friend who has a similar quality camera, but has an actual infra-red bulb, instead of led's and he gets better results than me, so that may be an option to look at if you can find one.
pchan

Post by pchan »

I had the same issue with ineffective low lighting orange gas bulb street lights. My solution was to use a 0.0003 lux b/w camera. Sony is the only company that makes a 0.0003 lux CCD so it's fairly easy to find one online. I would suggest trying it instead of the IR cameras since I could never find a satisfactory IR cam.

My only caution is to never purchase one from a company who doesn't warranty it for 1yr (some only do 90days), and never purchase it from a company who will penalize you for restocking.

I bought a few cameras from http://www.cctvwholesalers.com/ and would never buy from them again.
cordel

Post by cordel »

There is another manufacturer that uses the Sony CCD. I will not but anything else now.
http://www.supercircuits.com/STORE/prod ... 2&mitem=17
They also have a high res version for a little more. They DO NOT come with lens though but will work with any lens out there (non auto iris, and auto iris both DC and Video type)
They also have this micro lens camera with the Sony CCD
http://www.supercircuits.com/STORE/prod ... 7&mitem=20
Same as the above they have a high res version as well.
http://www.supercircuits.com/STORE/prod ... 9&mitem=20
They're worth checking out.
Cheers,
Cordel
kevin_robson

Sony CCD micro camera

Post by kevin_robson »

Thanks Cordel,
I like the look of these, and they fit within my budget. I dont suppose you could upload some stills taken in the dark with these could you so I could get an idea what results to expect?

Thanks
cordel

Post by cordel »

I gave you access to view the events so you can look at anything you like (stils and any time of day/night)
Cheers,
Cordel
wkstill

Post by wkstill »

Cordel, Do you think the PC5031R (1/3 Super HAD CCD, 0lux, 470Res, 37 LED) would work good for an outside camera with low light? I am debating on buying it or not, as SuperCircuits wants $180...
cordel

Post by cordel »

I haven't had any experience with that particular camera but I run the PC104EX I think it is and I works remarkably well in low light without IR LEDs. The sony Super HAD B/W has a low light rating of .0003 lux. I would think they would do well. PM me with some type of login info and I can setup a user for you so you can peak through my cam's and I'll PM you a link.