Can the length of an Event be limited to a Maximum time?

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.24.x releases only.
BlankMan

Can the length of an Event be limited to a Maximum time?

Post by BlankMan »

I've been getting some really long events, like over 22,000 seconds, I just looked and in the last Day had one at 22218.94 seconds and another at 16825.56 seconds. I doubt there was real motion that whole time.

Being able to set maximum Event length would be nice, I looked at the options and nothing jumped out at me as a way to do this.
mastertheknife

Post by mastertheknife »

You should be able to do it by hard-coding it into zma.
jfkastner

Post by jfkastner »

maybe a shell script/cronjob would do it that kills zma after the max time?
eg restart all captures every 10 min
Paranoid

Post by Paranoid »

I believe that the "Section Length" parameter under the Misc tab for configuring the camera does this. Since my alarms are never as long as I have this set to I cant be sure.
BlankMan

Post by BlankMan »

All good ideas, thanks. Just found another one 13617.73 seconds. Had a few 22,000 ones on Friday, then the 22 and 16 yesterday, and 13 again today, don't know why this is happening.

On todays the frame count was 405638 the alarm frame count was 405334 and when I click on the alarm frame count I get a File Not Found message in the browser.

So it appears ZoneMinder cannot handle these large, long Events. When I have tried to "Show Timeline" on any of these big ones I also get a File Not Found error message in the browser.
bb99

Post by bb99 »

The documentation says that the section length variable is ignored for Modect and useful for limiting Mocord file sizes. For Modect anything moving can cause this to happen such as shadows, trees, leaves, branches moving in the wind, I've even watched a 3 minute replay of a spider attaching part of it's web to the camera, Robin's using the front yard as native breeding grounds... The key here is to setup your zones excluding such movement and setting the alarm frame count. With Modect it's all about experimentation and adjusting for the seasons.
keynet

Modect won't stop after 1.24.2 upgrade

Post by keynet »

Seems I'm having similar issues. I upgraded this weekend from 1.23.2 to 1.24.2 after a couple of years working perfectly, and thought all was OK, aside from having to reset brightness and contrast.

However whatever I do, I can't stop Modect recordings from running on after an alarm. The frame diags say the frame score is 0 before the event (in pre-alarm), the scores go up to 100-200, triggering an alarm, but settle out at exactly 50, and won't go down, causing a continuous alarm afterwards, when the state should be idle. Anyone know what's changed or how I can work round this?
keynet

Re: Modect won't stop after 1.24.2 upgrade

Post by keynet »

keynet wrote:Seems I'm having similar issues....
OK, so I'll answer myself :D Here's what I found:

I fixed the problem by creating a new monitor with the same parameters and video source, and disabling the old monitor. So it's something to do with the update (or lack of) for the monitor table in the database.

I looked at the monitor table using Webmin's mysql viewer/editor, and there were a fair few differences. Not sure what they all do unfortunately, but having copied the new monitor's values to the old one manually in the database table, the old one monitor now works again, so I can have all my events in one place.
Sorry, insufficient time to try each value in turn to see what the actual setting or combination was at fault, but this narrows it down a lot...
jfkastner

Post by jfkastner »

maybe restarting ZM or a reboot would have done it ... please try it next time

that should reload the SQL data

from my experience i know that ZM is happier and works better if i restart it often, and sometimes even reboot depending on how many or what changes were done
keynet

Post by keynet »

jfkastner wrote:maybe restarting ZM or a reboot would have done it ...
I don't think so - ZM, MySQL, and the whole machine was restarted several times while trying to get it going. ZM normally runs for many months without attention, the only time the server is normally restarted is to add or swap a hard disk...
MacDee

Re: Can the length of an Event be limited to a Maximum time?

Post by MacDee »

I am having the same problem. I dont remember having this problem in the past with Modect. I can interrup or disable the alarm and it won't trigger an alarm on reenabling. This seems to say to me that it is not something that is still moving or changing. I will try to make another monitor with the same settings and see if that solves the issue. Zoneminder 1.24.4-1