Zoneminder in OpenVZ container

Add any particular hints or tricks you have found to help with your ZoneMinder experience.
vmsv

Zoneminder in OpenVZ container

Post by vmsv »

Hello,

I have installed my camera a machine and I want to install Zoneminder in a openvz container.

On the host machine everything is fine I have the /dev/video0 device and all the dumps seem OK. The problem is that I don't have th /dev/video0 device on my guest machine.

Anyone can help me ?
kingofkya

Post by kingofkya »

you will never get it without pci pass through i believe Xen has it but openvz does not.
unclerichy

Re: Zoneminder in OpenVZ container

Post by unclerichy »

vmsv wrote:Hello,

I have installed my camera a machine and I want to install Zoneminder in a openvz container.

On the host machine everything is fine I have the /dev/video0 device and all the dumps seem OK. The problem is that I don't have th /dev/video0 device on my guest machine.

Anyone can help me ?
Maybe a bit later now (since it's over a year later) but this:

Code: Select all

vzctl set <yourVEID> --devnodes "video0:rw video1:rw" --save
will give access to /dev/video0 and /dev/video1 in container <yourVEID>. Add more videoX:rw entries to pass through other devices.

OpenVZ is more like FreeBSD jails so doesn't use PCI pass-through, instead the drivers (such as bttv) are loaded on the host and the devices are shared with the guests (ie. containers in OpenVZ-speak)