ffmpeg, multiple installs, library paths - please explain

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.24.x releases only.
kevin_robson

ffmpeg, multiple installs, library paths - please explain

Post by kevin_robson »

I seem to be finding various issues with the ffmpeg aspect of zm. I can get zm working by manually compiling ffmpeg, but then mythtv video conversion etc breaks because there are other requirements. Even if it works, a yum update a few months later and zm breaks again.

What I'd really like to do is have two seperate ffmpeg installs, one from source and one from yum (fedora 12), but I'm not sure how they would co-exist with each other.

So:
Firstly I've NOT installed ffmpeg from the fedora installation
Then I install ffmpeg from source, but with a prefix of /opt/ffmpeg
./configure --enable-gpl –enable-shared --enable-pthreads --prefix=/opt/ffmpeg
I then do a make install
However, do I need to do a make install-libs? What does this step do? I've not bothered for now and all seems well so far.
I'm assuming it copies libraries into the central /lib area, which I want to avoid.

Running the following zm configure and make seems to work, but I've not tested the zm aspect of it yet.

./configure --with-webdir=/var/www/html/zm --with-cgidir=/var/www/cgi-bin/zm --with-webuser=apache --with-webgroup=apache --with-ffmpeg=/opt/ffmpeg ZM_SSL_LIB=openssl

Firstly, will this above configuration work for generating event mpegs with ffmpeg?

Secondly, when I do a yum install ffmpeg ffmpeg-devel for use by mythtv and other programs, will zm and the ffmpeg in /opt/ffmpeg still work OK or will it break.

Hope this all makes sense.

Thanks in advance
curtishall

Re: ffmpeg, multiple installs, library paths - please explai

Post by curtishall »

Without diving deep into this...you might try to statically compile ffmpeg. This will make the binary _huge_ but you wouldn't run into as many library problems with multiple ffmpeg installs.
--
Curtis Hall
Bluecherry
www.bluecherrydvr.com
store.bluecherry.net
kevin_robson

Post by kevin_robson »

Thanks, I tried this and zm will compile against it at least, with no lib files in /lib.
Just need to see if I can use to export an event with it now - Been a bit busy.

Then I'll try installing the rpm ffmpeg and confirm it still works OK.

Thanks for the idea though - so far so good.
jfkastner

Post by jfkastner »

i had to install various libs thru the GUI on ubu 904 to make ffmpeg work

if your mplayer etc works in the GUI then ZM should work too