Change zone sensitivity at night?

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.24.x releases only.
aperry

Change zone sensitivity at night?

Post by aperry »

I read the FAQ on using run states to change between monitor, record, etc at certain times. However, I don't think it allows me to change the sensitivity of zones (if I want it to stay in modect). Is there any way to do this? Basically, I want zoneminder to be much more sensitive at night. My camera is used with a motion sensitive light, but my daytime sensitivity isn't quite triggering the thing to record when the light comes on.

Thanks in advance!
Aaron
itl

Post by itl »

no response? I'm wondering the same thing. On a bright sunny day, the feed is so bright it is completely washed out. I adjust it manually (which triggers an alarm) and then end up getting some cloud cover, and it gets too dark. Any way to account for this in ZM?

I am using a cheap Labtec Webcam Pro for my proof of concept with zm before spending $$$ on cameras. Do decent cameras somehow handle the adjustment of light?
quietas

Post by quietas »

I think this is what you want:
http://www.zoneminder.com/wiki/index.ph ... or_week.3F

For example, from 7am I have all 14 of my 16 cameras running in record through the day, with the 2 remaining cameras set to mocord. At 7pm, I have the those 14 cameras set to mocord also.

Essentially you set up all your monitors in one manner, then save that state to Day. Set them up again in another manner, save that state as Night. Then you can create a crontab entry to activate Day at 7am with a second entry to activate Night at 7pm.
aperry

Post by aperry »

As mentioned in the first post, I reviewed that FAQ and I do not think it accomplishes what's required here.

I'd like the individual zone settings to change at certain times. For example, during sunlight hours I want my zones to use the "best, low sensitivity" preset and then switch to "best, high sensitivity" at night time (when movement is harder to detect).

Thoughts?
Aaron
quietas

Post by quietas »

I just tried and it seems that the zones do not change with the monitors when the state is changed.

Someone might know of a way to do it via command line though.
aperry

Post by aperry »

Thanks, yeah, I also had tested it out and had similar results. It was hard for me to tell if I was doing everything correctly, so I'm glad that you validated it.

Aaron
enzo86

Post by enzo86 »

The would be very helpful for those of us that setup preclusion zones during the day to to stop sun movement, where these features have no use at night and can lower sensitivity
johnnytolengo

Post by johnnytolengo »

You can duplicate the monitor with different configuration and at night you just switch them.
aperry

Post by aperry »

That sounds like it will work. Thanks, I hadn't considered the idea of having more than one monitor configured for the same cam. Thanks!!

Aaron
bristoldave

Post by bristoldave »

Duplicate monitors seems like a really ugly way of doing it.

I've done it using cron jobs which load the SQL .MYI and MYD files from different backups depending on whether it's day or night - works for me.

I'll try and dig the thread out that explains it.
aperry

Post by aperry »

bristoldave wrote:Duplicate monitors seems like a really ugly way of doing it.

I've done it using cron jobs which load the SQL .MYI and MYD files from different backups depending on whether it's day or night - works for me.

Thanks. That sounds interesting and I'd love to see the details.

Aaron
enzo86

Post by enzo86 »

bristoldave wrote:Duplicate monitors seems like a really ugly way of doing it.

i am trying to do the same thing for night /day config
Blazer

Post by Blazer »

You are on the right track. I know someone who uses a php script to dynamically alter monitor/zone settings by tweaking values in the mysql database.
ACTechWorld

Post by ACTechWorld »

Take a look at my app note at : http://www.tech-world.com/RSVSwitch/rsvan0017.php

There's an example in the code of using zmu to adjust brightness and contrast via perl and cron. No need to mess with the database.

There are some image tools to detect the brightness of a jpg image that you could also look at to do some dynamic adjustment by analyzing frames and then coding the brightness changes. That was beyond my needs, so I didn't really dig into it.
- AC
--------
Serial and X10 controlled video switches.
http://www.tech-world.com
Flav

Post by Flav »

I use a cgi/mysql script who modify database whith different config
juste a Update like this :

UPDATE `zm`.`Zones` SET `Name` = 'All',
`OverloadFrames` = '0' ... ... WHERE `Zones`.`Id` =4;