Linksys WVC54GCA

Post here to ask any questions about hardware suitability, configuration in ZoneMinder, or experiences. If you just want to know if something works with ZoneMinder or not, please check the Hardware Compatibility sections in the forum, and the Wiki first. Also search this topic as well.
big brother

Linksys WVC54GCA

Post by big brother »

Hi,
is this Camera working with ZoneMinder ?
Linksys WVC54GCA
http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellit ... 1687048B01
greetz
big brother
cordel

Post by cordel »

Not sure anyone has tryed that paticular one.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe ... tnG=Search
NewTechFool

Post by NewTechFool »

I was able to configure the camera and make it work with Zone Minder.
As you can see I configured it for 10 fps, but ZM is reporting between 0.5 and 1.0 fps. When you load the image in the browser you can also tell that the camer is just very slow. It's on 54Mb wireless close the the router, so I should be able to get close to full speed. I think the camera is just too slow.

There also seems to be a lot of noise in the image, so adjusting the motion detection is tricky. Have not found a good setting yet that does not get false positives and at the same time captures motion when it happens.

I disabled authentication in the camera itself, as it is on my internal network. Not sure how you would pass credentials from ZM to the camera if you wanted to enable security on the camera.

I can't recommend the camera because of the speed of capture and the image quality.

Here are my settings:

jameswilson

Post by jameswilson »

if you check the forum it is littered with similar comments about linksys cameras
James Wilson

Disclaimer: The above is pure theory and may work on a good day with the wind behind it. etc etc.
http://www.securitywarehouse.co.uk
eug

Post by eug »

NewTechFool wrote:
I can't recommend the camera because of the speed of capture and the image quality.
It has been a year now ... do you still feel the same? Have there been any firmware updates or anything that fixes it?
obagi

Post by obagi »

I am getting 10fps in 640x480 from this camera in zm.

My setting for remote host path is /img/video.mjpeg
eug

Post by eug »

Hmm 10fps at 640x480 isn't bad at all. Is it stable? Keeps on running and running?
obagi

Post by obagi »

It's been running for the last 24hrs no problem. The picture quality is terrible though. I am going to return this camera back to my local Fry's store.
eug

Post by eug »

ahh.. damn.. so close!
Is it bad during daylight, or just at night?
obagi

Post by obagi »

This camera is bad - day or night. Lots of screen artifacts make motion detection impossible. You could use it for a monitor if you already have one and can not return it.