email not working on ZMArch 1.24

Support and queries relating to third party Live CDs and DVD, VM images and other packaged distributions
c0mputerking

email not working on ZMArch 1.24

Post by c0mputerking »

Ok again with the email issuse only the new Arch CD is even worse than the last one. The is no MTA no sendmail command nothing here is what i have done so far.

$ sudo pacman -S postfix
>add this line to main.cf
relayhost = [mx1.hostname.tdl]:325
>add postfix to the Dameons line near the end but befor httpd is best ?
$ sudo /etc/rc.conf

Tested my new postfix and it is working can send email to a remote host.

Set up all the options in zm to send email and created a filter to send email details anytime there is an event with frames greater than or equal to 1.

Guessing this is a perl module issue anyone know of the exact required modules (and how to install them) on Arch? Medlin this is your CD and my first attempt using Arch thanks for your help in advance.
rdmelin

Post by rdmelin »

OK you are using the initial release CD with a svn package of zoneminder. I will shortly put up an "official" 1.24.1 CD and a 1.24.1 package that you can use to update your existing installation.
Please hang in there with me. I want all features, especially email to be easy for users.
Question for you. Do you really have a reason to want an MTA on your zm machine? The reason I ask is that I'm considering settling on a patched zmfilter.pl that doesn't use the sendmail method at all. It will support 2 smtp methods, one using perl mods (all needed perl mods are already included) and the other using the 'email' commandline utility(inclided). I've tested extensively with 1.23.3. I've not had time to test with 1.24.x but zmfilter.pl has changed little.
If you can hang in here a little and help me test, we can add an entry to the wiki for others.
c0mputerking

Post by c0mputerking »

rdmelin wrote:OK you are using the initial release CD with a svn package of zoneminder. I will shortly put up an "official" 1.24.1 CD and a 1.24.1 package that you can use to update your existing installation.
Please hang in there with me. I want all features, especially email to be easy for users.
Question for you. Do you really have a reason to want an MTA on your zm machine? The reason I ask is that I'm considering settling on a patched zmfilter.pl that doesn't use the sendmail method at all. It will support 2 smtp methods, one using perl mods (all needed perl mods are already included) and the other using the 'email' commandline utility(inclided). I've tested extensively with 1.23.3. I've not had time to test with 1.24.x but zmfilter.pl has changed little.
If you can hang in here a little and help me test, we can add an entry to the wiki for others.
Yes i am willing to hang in there and help out as i would like to give back to the ZM community. I would be more than willing to help test the CD or anything you need.

I have used all the older live CD's and the new ones too, namely Curtis's and the DVD by newantannavision. Also i have spent a couple of months on a pretty nice ZM/Gentoo project of my own it works well but......its Gentoo heehee. Mostly i have not found an easy way to get it back onto a CD or DVD. This is my first experience Arch and i like it simple quick, but i would like to pose these thoughts about the goals of the liveCD.

1. It should obviously work out of the box all features including email and ftp.

2. It should be upgradeable not just the ZM part but the distro too. Seems Arch might be good at this, and supports a rolling release model? ie pacman -Syu much like FreeBSD makeworld and Gentoo emerge world.
The zmupdate.pl script should take care of the ZM updates. Maybe i have not been around ZM long enough but have never seen that that script do anything for me. Infact last i checked it told me i was up to date with 1.23.3 even though i was using 1.24.0

3. Customizable (like ZMLiveCD) need some kind of vnc or nxserver and someone else needs some other features or appearance. I aspire to have a live CD that can be installed (with raid/LVM), and have all the features work. Make some customizations roll it back onto a bootable CD install somewhere else. Then when the time comes upgrade both the OS and ZM and hopefully roll back into a live CD.

I know this is a bit of a happily ever after request and everything in cyberland is a moving target, making perfection impossible. However i am still willing to spend countless hours tying when i should be doing anything, and everything else with my time heehee.

I think you have laid down some excellent ground work rdmelin have read your posts and installed several of your live CD's to demo ZM. Seems like ZM and Arch are going to be a great combo.

I look forward to lending my time to make this the best ZM live CD ever let me know how i can help.

Oh i almost forgot about the MTA stuff I do not really need a MTA just when things were not working i tried what i knew postfix. Besides postfix is small fast reliable, and arch has nothing i could find for outbound mail by default.

Just a thought but say one day zmupdate.pl updates the zmfilter.pl and your mail patches are gone? wouldn't it be safer to use default zmfilter.pl and just make postfix a part of the CD?
rdmelin

Post by rdmelin »

OK ZMLarch_1.24.1.iso is up. And http://www.isentrix.com/pub/zoneminder/ ... pkg.tar.gz if you prefer to update an existing installation. There a a few other nice tweaks if you want to reinstall from the "stable" CD.
If you update check the notes in http://www.zoneminder.com/wiki/index.php/Update_ZMLarch
They are for moving from "stable" to "svn" but you will get the idea.
Just a thought but say one day zmupdate.pl updates the zmfilter.pl and your mail patches are gone? wouldn't it be safer to use default zmfilter.pl and just make postfix a part of the CD?
zmupdate.pl is just a utility to keep the database structure in sync with the ZoneMinder version. Updateing versions is by the package manager, pacman.
Every miserable little windows virus out there can deluge the internet with emails. ZoneMinder has to be able to send an email without requiring its own email server. :)

I'll get back with some email howto shortly.
c0mputerking

Post by c0mputerking »

rdmelin wrote:OK ZMLarch_1.24.1.iso is up. And http://www.isentrix.com/pub/zoneminder/ ... pkg.tar.gz if you prefer to update an existing installation. There a a few other nice tweaks if you want to reinstall from the "stable" CD.
If you update check the notes in http://www.zoneminder.com/wiki/index.php/Update_ZMLarch
They are for moving from "stable" to "svn" but you will get the idea.
I am a bit confused here? the new cd and the update are the same right? or does the new CD contain the other nice tweaks? I checked the notes nothing about other nice tweaks there either.

zmupdate.pl is just a utility to keep the database structure in sync with the ZoneMinder version. Updateing versions is by the package manager, pacman.
Every miserable little windows virus out there can deluge the internet with emails. ZoneMinder has to be able to send an email without requiring its own email server. :)

I'll get back with some email howto shortly.
Ok thanks really need the email thing to work
c0mputerking

Post by c0mputerking »

Hello Ross i downloaded the new CD and gave it a go email still does not work! I read your article here http://www.zoneminder.com/wiki/index.ph ... _and_email have tried both the new module and the none new module way but niether work.

I have modified my /etc/email/email.conf and can get email off the zmhost using the command line but zoneminder does not work!

You mention that the required perl modules are installed but looking at the installed packages i do not see MIME::Entity or any of the email based perl modules required for zm to send mail. Am i missing something here or are you?

I have found this list of required deps http://www.zoneminder.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3556 on the zoneminder forums and found a neat cpanplus4packman too that allows a user to install perl module through pacman messed around with it last night installing all the perl stuff on that list but email still did not start working.
newvisionantenna

Post by newvisionantenna »

I have not used ArchLinux but on my DVD version the email works so I know Zoneminder does what it is suppose to do and I have several emails in my inbox from testing.

I'll download this disk and try it out, I respect Ross and all his work and would love to help in any way. It might be that one of the perl modules is missing.
c0mputerking

Post by c0mputerking »

Missing perl module is my guess too. I have made zoneminder send emails too using Gentoo so i know it works. Thanks
rdmelin

Post by rdmelin »

Missing perl module is my guess too.
Right, sorry about that.
In testing from the CD zmfilter.pl wouldn't execute until I added some mods. I wasn't watching close enough so i don't know for sure which.
Try 'pacman -S perl-mime-tools perl-email-date-format perl-unicode-string perl-crypt-ssleay '
rdmelin

Post by rdmelin »

OK so the culprit was perl-mime-tools. With this installed I can send an email using the non NEW_MAIL_MODULES, "email" method. The smtp server requires auth.

/etc/email/email.conf liiks like this.

Code: Select all

SMTP_SERVER = 'mail.isentrix.com'
SMTP_PORT = '26'
MY_NAME  = 'ZM Tester'
MY_EMAIL = 'zmtest@isentrix.com'
SAVE_SENT_MAIL = '/tmp'
SMTP_AUTH = 'LOGIN'
SMTP_AUTH_USER = zmtest@isentrix.com
SMTP_AUTH_PASS = <secret_password>
A demo video of testing email from the CD is here:
http://www.isentrix.com/pub/zoneminder/ ... _event.avi

BTW this video was made with qt-recordmydesktop which is included on the CD. It was resized with mencoder. I hope users will use this included utility to create and contribute HOWTO videos. I can host them at the above site.
c0mputerking

SOLVED

Post by c0mputerking »

Yep it works perl-mime-tools was the culprit thanks

I also had an issue with the hostname not being fully qualified . I know this is just a problem with my recieving MTA being picky, but thought i would mention it here in case it helps someone else.
creator

Post by creator »

Will perl-MIME-tools be included on the next release?
rdmelin

Post by rdmelin »

Yes. It's included in the current ZMLarch_1.24.1-3.iso
c0mputerking

Post by c0mputerking »

hmmm i am having issues getting email to work with the latest version of ZMLarch. In fact i was having issues with my previous version too email worked for awhile and then stopped. I was really hoping that a fresh install would fix the email things, but it has'nt. I have watched the video and adjusted the email.conf file the host can send email, but zoneminder is being stubborn again really hate all the hang ups with email.
rdmelin

Post by rdmelin »

If you'd like to PM me with access info I can take a quick look and see if I can spot the problem.

edit: I think I found the problem, a permissions problem in the svn pkgbuild.
"sudo chmod 755 /usr/lib/zm/bin/zmfilter.pl" should help alot.
Sorry for the inconvenience.