Which Distro best to Run New 1.24 With?

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.24.x releases only.
Viper_iii

Which Distro best to Run New 1.24 With?

Post by Viper_iii »

Is there a Distro of choice that will install 1.24.x the easiest with?

Wanting to reload my 1.23.x with the latest because of many issues I've got ... Not all ZM related Trust me!

Just looking for a clean tutorial for installing nice and clean and smooth..

also has anyone written any skins for the newest release yet? Just wondering, not a major issue...

thx
zoneminder
Site Admin

Post by zoneminder »

My preference is for Fedora for playing around at home or Centos for a server grade install. That's what it's developed on anyway.
Phil
Lee Sharp

Post by Lee Sharp »

I like Ubuntu, since it is easiest for new users... But use what you know. Or what the guy who will help you knows...
curtishall

Post by curtishall »

Lee Sharp wrote:I like Ubuntu, since it is easiest for new users... But use what you know. Or what the guy who will help you knows...
You will have to build from source until there are packages ready (not until 1.24 hits a stable / official release). For now pick which distro you understand the best....if that is null then pick the best distro that has the easiest to understand compile-by-source instructions (see WIKI and the forums) because you will have to do that for 1.24 for a while.
--
Curtis Hall
Bluecherry
www.bluecherrydvr.com
store.bluecherry.net
kevin_robson

Post by kevin_robson »

Any idea how far off a formal release we are? I'm looking to rebuld my server in the near future and didn't know if it was worth waiting for the formal release.
monex

Post by monex »

Hi,

I would suggest to use the stable version instead because there will be definitely the possibility to update zoneminder 1.23.x to 1.24.x but it is not sure that there will be an update path from 1.24.0_rc_xxx to final version. So better use the stable one.

hope this helps