Hangs in Bootloader

Support and queries relating to third party Live CDs and DVD, VM images and other packaged distributions
deffcon

Hangs in Bootloader

Post by deffcon »

Hi All,

De live install goes well now, but when i reboot it hangs at grub.

That's the only thing i see "GRUB"

Does anyone know what this means?

Dave
rdmelin

Post by rdmelin »

Hi Dave,
The liveCD uses lilo not grub. Grub is not on the liveCD system at all. If your machine stops at a grub boot prompt it came from somewhere else. Like a previous linux installation.
When you ran the liveCD install did you install the bootloader in the boot record of the root partition, or in the master boot record? Is the ZoneMinder system the only one on the machine or is it dual or multi boot? If it is the only system on the machine you need to install the boot loader to the master boot record of the drive. The simplest way to do this now is just rerun the whole installation.

Best regards
Ross
deffcon

Bootloader

Post by deffcon »

Hi Ross,

Thank you ver much for your reply.

You where right about the bootloader, it was from a previous linux dist.
But now ia have the problem,when i wipe the whole hdd blank, and repartition it. It stops at before it has to load linux.

My question Ross, what do i have to do to get it working, i've tryed it like a 100 times now. What kind of partitions do i have to use, linux native or extended, and do i have to use /root,/usr/home/boot/var etc.

Can you help me please?

Thanx Ross,

Dave

Holland
rdmelin

Post by rdmelin »

I'm not sure what you mean by stopping before it loads linux.
Does the CD boot up to an X desktop without problems?
Is it after completing the installation and rebooting that is stops?

The simplest partition scheme is one big partition for / ( must be 2 GB or more) and one small swap partition. Both may be primary, one linux native type and one swap type. If you use the GUI (Diskdrake) it will take care of the details for you. When creating partitions in Diskdrake the mountpoints can be something like /mnt/hda1, /mnt/hda5, etc because they only refer to the livecd system, not the final harddisk installation. In the livecd-install GUI the mount points are for the installed system.

The partition scheme I use is:
/ = primary partition (hda1), about 2 GB, linux native, ext3 filesystem.
extended partition (hda2) the remainder of the disk
logical partition (hda5) swap 100 MB
/var = logical partition (hda6), remainder of extended partition, linux native, ext3

If the installer successfully copies all files to the hard drive, then choose to install the bootloader in the master boot record of the drive NOT of the partition. Then don't forget to click the install button in that screen.

If these instructions don't get you going, please try to explain clearly where exactly the proccess hangs up.

Ross[/b][/quote]
deffcon

Thanks !!!

Post by deffcon »

Hi Ross,

Thanks it worked the way you said it worked, my next problem: when i connect my Creative Webcam Go Plus, the green lite on my webcam turns green, on a windows machine it means it is installed an working correctly, but how do i check if it works, and so not, how do i get it installed. I also have a Pinneaclesys dc10+ Zoran based card that i want to use is it possible?

Hopefully you can help me.

With kind regards,

Dave

Holland
rdmelin

Post by rdmelin »

I have no experience with either the web cam or the Zoran based card. If the webcam was found and configured by hotplug you may be able to access it by clicking the TVtime icon on the desktop.
Beyond that it may be better to post to the Hardware Queries forum.

Best regards
Ross