wintv pci - easy question

Post here to ask any questions about hardware suitability, configuration in ZoneMinder, or experiences. If you just want to know if something works with ZoneMinder or not, please check the Hardware Compatibility sections in the forum, and the Wiki first. Also search this topic as well.
cdw1

wintv pci - easy question

Post by cdw1 »

I have a wintv pci interface by hauppauge.

Physically, this card has a RCA/composite type connector that I am using, and a coax type connector that I don't use.

the 'zmu -d 0 -q -v" command lists four channels-
channel 0 - Television
channel 1 -Composite1 I use this one
channel 2 - S-Video
channel 3 - Composite3

can someone explain what this means to me?
I'm hoping I might be able to use the other physical connection on this card- I understand this would cut the resolution from what I have read here, but I want to take this card for all its worth.

Thanks,
Chad
zoneminder
Site Admin

Post by zoneminder »

Hi Chad,

It means that internally the card considers itself to have four possible sources of images. Whether all four are physically represented by inputs you can plug something into is a different matter. In ZM (and any V4L application) you would access these sources by selecting one of inputs/channels 0 to 3 on the device /dev/video0 (assuming you don't have any other video hardware). Each additional input you use would drop the frame rate available to each camera by a little more than half.

Phil
cdw1

lower level

Post by cdw1 »

Thanks for the reply, Phil.
My compliments for creating a very useful program, maintaining it, creating forums to support it and following the forums.

My question was a bit more basic- I'm unfamiliar with cameras, and the differences in video signals.
I was hoping someone would direct me to a url with some explanations, terminology, etc. Right now my internet searches seem to lead me to people selling cameras and not much else. For example, this site answers my question, but does not provide enough information - http://www.grandtec.com/connectors.htm

Thanks,
Chad