Facial recognition

Anything you want added or changed in future versions of ZoneMinder? Post here and there's a chance it will get in! Search to make sure it hasn't already been requested.
djsb

Facial recognition

Post by djsb »

What do you think about turning this surveillence system smart?

Something that can generate an alarm every time someone with some perfil gets near a zone... Let's image, we've got all employers face inserted in the system and if the cameras detect a person diferent from the ones inserted it will generate an alarm...

This is a kind of image manipulation i guess...
victor_diago

Post by victor_diago »

come on... lets stop with that.

i think we need to make zoneminder more efficient, but when you said face recognition, you just dont know how much work will take to have it working.

i really dont think this is a priority . we have SEVERAL things to do first.

just think , someone who is "accepted" for the system could turn his head and BAM, false positive.

there are MANY other things that should be better than this, like a good integration with Webcdwriter (which i use to write CDS in ZM), best compression and best ffmpeg support.

iris recognition is something good, but i dont think that is the way to make zm better. there are other systems which do that, and you need a VERY good quality camera.

victor diago
djsb

you're right

Post by djsb »

I guess you are correct!

Anyway this would make a difference between zoneminder and other systems... I have some work done in face recognition under linux but it really has some false positives...

--
Domingos Bruges
gnuorder

Post by gnuorder »

As one of the first communities in America to have face recognition in use, I can attest to it's uselessness. It was set up in several places along ybor city, a place in Tampa known for bars youthful partying. It was also used at the superbowl first here in Tampa. To date it has only had one match and that turned out to be a false identification.

http://www.aclu.org/Privacy/Privacy.cfm?ID=13487&c=130

I think the system is still in place but they dont rely on it anymore. The cameras are still useful for watching for problems in real time. As for face recognition, I'm sure it is more accurate if you can control how the person looks into the camera but if you go to that step, you might as well use other biometrics like fingerprint or retinal scans which can be scanned faster and more accurately and have a smaller database.
djsb

Post by djsb »

I agree with you.. the problem is that with biometric technology you cannot do iris or fingerprint scanning to a person that enters a shop or that walks on the street..