I don't see the camera image

Post here to ask any questions about hardware suitability, configuration in ZoneMinder, or experiences. If you just want to know if something works with ZoneMinder or not, please check the Hardware Compatibility sections in the forum, and the Wiki first. Also search this topic as well.
decibel83

I don't see the camera image

Post by decibel83 »

Hi.
I installed Zoneminder 1.22.3 on a Debian Etch system with a Grandtec X-Guard PCI 9P capture card.
I connected two cameras to the first and second input port of the Grandtec and I added a test monitor in ZoneMinder with /dev/video0 as device and "0" as channel (the 0 channel should be the first input in the card).
I started ZoneMinder but I don't see any output image if I click on the monitor's name. If I open the zone window I only see a blue window instead of the output image.
Anyone could help me to solve this problem?
Thank you very much!
Bye.
jamescollings

Post by jamescollings »

Blue Screen??? sounds like the camera isn't sending an image to the Capture Card. Check the image coming back from the camera using a portable TV (or similar)
decibel83

Post by decibel83 »

I checked the cameras, and they work well on a TV.
I added the www-data user to the video group, but I still don't see anything.
In the zone configuration windows in Zoneminder I only see a blue rectangle, and in the capture window I don't see anything (I see the white rectangle as the image doesn't exist).
:-(
Any idea?
decibel83

Post by decibel83 »

I tested the capture card and the cameras on Windows with the original Grandtec Windows drivers and it works without any problem, so it isn't a card or camera related problem...
jamescollings

Post by jamescollings »

Ah, if you are not getting an image in the capture window, then have a look at either of the following two threads:

http://www.zoneminder.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5530

http://www.zoneminder.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9203
decibel83

Post by decibel83 »

How I can test the card on Linux to be use that it isn't a Linux related problem?
I tried with mplayer but if I execute mplayer -tv device=/dev/video0:input=0 it doesn't start and show me the help page, like the command is not correct.
With vlc I can't select the input but only the device.
decibel83

Post by decibel83 »

The first topic you linked me (http://www.zoneminder.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5530) tells about problems with the authentication, but for now I haven't the authentication enabled...
jamescollings

Post by jamescollings »

decibel83 wrote:but for now I haven't the authentication enabled...
ok... (I only mention it, because it was a problem that I was having on a new system of mine).

Back to basics.. although I have never had to do this, I know that many people use XAWTV to test their camera-card-linux set up (ie: remove Zoneminder from the equation). As I say, I've never used this, but if you search for XAWTV on the forums then you might find instructions.

sorry, I've run out of other ideas.