ZoneMinder System Requirements

A place for discussion of topics that are not specific to ZoneMinder. This could include Linux, Video4Linux, CCTV cameras or any other topic.
wfernley

ZoneMinder System Requirements

Post by wfernley »

Hey everyone,

I was curious on the system requirements of ZoneMinder. I am by no means an expert with Linux but I do know a bit - enough to create a WebServer anyways ;)

I couldn't find any system requirements in the documentation. Are there any recorded system requirements for ZoneMinder?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Wes Fernley
NetworkCameraReviews.com
Your IP Network Camera Source
cordel

Post by cordel »

It really depends on what you want to setup. The more demanding you are of the system, say you want to capture 4 cameras at 20fps each You will need a speedy machine (at least p4 w/ 1GB vs 8 cameras at 20 fps each you better build a super speedy machine and pay attention to eliminating any bottle necks for you storage.

It really depends on what you want to have it do and how you set it up as to what the requirements are. It will run fine on a PIII 500 if you don't ask to much (say four cameras at 320x240 color at 3 fps each). You might get even a slower machine to work if you don't use any image analisis in ZM (just record or external trigger).

Regards,
Corey
jamescollings

Post by jamescollings »

I have a simple system running on the following hardware:

PII 233Mhz, 256Mb Ram, 80GB Hard disk. Ancient WinTV card from Hauppauge. I initially tested this with the LiveCD, and it worked without any configuration at all... so I chose the "install" option from the CD and That was all I had to do.

It is only using a single camera which records at 4fps (I could run higher, but for CCTV security recording, you don't need much more than this to be able to recognise faces). I have this camera running Motion Detection with 3 zones configured and have a buffer of 40 frames (ie: 10 seconds).

The system is connected to the LAN (85Mps Ethernet over Mains Power) and streams video to IE6 quite happily.

I disabled the X server from the startup to reserve as much memory for the ZM stuff as possible. The system runs "headless" and all admin is done via SSH or the ZMWeb pages.

hope this helps?