NAS Storage

Discussions related to the 1.36.x series of ZoneMinder
ervybaby

NAS Storage

Post by ervybaby »

Hi, looking for a quick and easy way to change storing to my NAS. I'm running ZM off of Debian/Linux 12 (Bookworm). I've managed to mount the SMB volume into files and make a camera point to the new NAS storage entry. In ZM Options, Storage, I've tried different combinations for the path and URL but events saving keeps reverting to local drive (var/cache/zoneminder/events). What am I doing wrong?
Tnx.
Andyrh

Re: NAS Storage

Post by Andyrh »

Most likely it is permissions. Have you verified you can write to the NAS share?
What command are you using to mount the share?
What are the permissions on the share?
Andy
o||||o

Ubuntu 22.04
ZM 1.36.33
E5-1650-v4 Xeon
16 GB RAM
6 cameras -> 54 FPS modect
ervybaby

Post by ervybaby »

I can write/save files onto the drive. Permissions on the folder in the nas are set to drwx---
Files browser gives me a location as:
/run/user/1000/gvfs/smb-share:server=dlbox.local,share=volume_1/zm
mikb

Post by mikb »

ervybaby wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 2:39 pm I can write/save files onto the drive. Permissions on the folder in the nas are set to drwx---
Files browser gives me a location as:
/run/user/1000/gvfs/smb-share:server=dlbox.local,share=volume_1/zm
SMB -- can cause trouble because the underlying file system/protocol mangles permissions in a very unhelpful way, or refuses to understand symbolic links.

The permissions d rwx --- --- means the user that owns the directory can enter the directory and read-write it.

No-one else can.

This may mean that the directory is owned by someone other than the ZM user -- i.e. no good :(

Try "ls -la" on the folder, to show the user/group information too. This might be instructive ...
ervybaby

Post by ervybaby »

I've given up on trying to connect my nas and instead connected a 1TB-USB drive to my machine running zoneminder. The mounting to Debian is easier (no smb to configure) and I installed Webmin to try and configure things using the gui (i'm not an advanced linux user).
In Zoneminder I added to add the new USB-drive as a new storage and once again it wrote all events to /var/cache/zonminder/events
I am not sure what to do inside Webmin as to create a new mount for zoneminder to chage it's event writing location.. I feel I am almost there..
dougmccrary

Post by dougmccrary »

Did you point the cameras at the new storage? The default is null, so you need to change it.
ervybaby

Post by ervybaby »

I finally got it to work using instructions here:
https://bkjaya.wordpress.com/2018/08/23 ... -computer/
I pointed the cameras at the new storage and the files are now showing up on the usb-drive. YaY! I probably have some more tweaking to do..
ervybaby

Post by ervybaby »

Spoke too soon, my USB-drive doesnt always mount after reboot..
dougmccrary

Post by dougmccrary »

If you aren't, use mount by uuid.