CONSIDER IT SOLVED: Unable to connect to Reolink D800 cameras

Discussions related to the 1.36.x series of ZoneMinder
aquadot

Re: CONSIDER IT SOLVED: Unable to connect to Reolink D820A cameras

Post by aquadot »

I read through this somewhat quickly and may have missed this, but were you able to connect to their stream using VLC?
TruckerDave

Post by TruckerDave »

aquadot wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:07 pm I read through this somewhat quickly and may have missed this, but were you able to connect to their stream using VLC?
Not at all. Even with plugging the camera directly in to my Debian server. I tried both RTSP and RTMP using 2 different style links and ports 9000 and 554.

I have a new camera arriving tomorrow that is known to work. If I cant't get it to work, then I'll KNOW it may be an issue with my setup somewhere. But until then, I'm done with the D800.
aquadot

Post by aquadot »

What about on your desktop using the actual VLC application? If you are on the same network with your camera and you know the RTSP link the camera offers you should be able to enter that into VLC and view the stream. Have you tried doing that?

I'm simply trying to clarify because there is the VLC option in ZoneMinder and I want to be sure to differentiate between the action of using that option vs using the VLC application on a desktop/laptop system.
TruckerDave

Post by TruckerDave »

aquadot wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:35 pm What about on your desktop using the actual VLC application? If you are on the same network with your camera and you know the RTSP link the camera offers you should be able to enter that into VLC and view the stream. Have you tried doing that?

I'm simply trying to clarify because there is the VLC option in ZoneMinder and I want to be sure to differentiate between the action of using that option vs using the VLC application on a desktop/laptop system.
I should have been more clear. My bad. The way I had it plugged up was in my Debian server which takes my firewall out of the equation. It was set to handle assigning the camera a static ip. And from my Mint machine I was able to ping the camera. However, all the attempts I made using VLC immediately failed.

I know that, when accessing the camera via the reolink app, it shows the port setting of 9000 which cannot be changed in the app. What exactly that is used for is unknown to me. What other ports it needs to use is also unknown to me. I tried the 9000 port and 554 port that was mentioned elsewhere. Those got me nowhere.
aquadot

Re: CONSIDER IT SOLVED: Unable to connect to Reolink D800 cameras

Post by aquadot »

Thanks for answering back on those questions. I was hoping to help you out if I could but it looks like the conclusion you've come to is the correct one.

Reolink shows that most cams can be accessed by VLC using RTSP but yours are on the list of ones you can't do that with.

https://support.reolink.com/hc/en-us/articles/360007010473-How-to-Live-View-Reolink-Cameras-via-VLC-Media-Player/?slug=onvif&search=zoneminder

Someone on Reddit gives a little more description here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/reolinkcam/comments/zmdox9/accessing_rtsp_from_camera_kit/

Sorry you got proprietary cameras but keep at it with compatible cameras, ZoneMinder is awesome at what it does.
TruckerDave

Re: CONSIDER IT SOLVED: Unable to connect to Reolink D800 cameras

Post by TruckerDave »

aquadot wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:49 pm Thanks for answering back on those questions. I was hoping to help you out if I could but it looks like the conclusion you've come to is the correct one.

Reolink shows that most cams can be accessed by VLC using RTSP but yours are on the list of ones you can't do that with.

https://support.reolink.com/hc/en-us/articles/360007010473-How-to-Live-View-Reolink-Cameras-via-VLC-Media-Player/?slug=onvif&search=zoneminder

Someone on Reddit gives a little more description here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/reolinkcam/comments/zmdox9/accessing_rtsp_from_camera_kit/

Sorry you got proprietary cameras but keep at it with compatible cameras, ZoneMinder is awesome at what it does.
Thanks for that reddit link. Of the literally 100s of posts I've skimmed through, I hadn't seen that one. Sums it up pretty good.