Font size for timestamp

Anything you want added or changed in future versions of ZoneMinder? Post here and there's a chance it will get in! Search to make sure it hasn't already been requested.
Detlef Paschke

Font size for timestamp

Post by Detlef Paschke »

Good day,

I just installed a 5MP camera in Zoneminder for testing. I noticed that the font size of the timestamp in the "extra large" setting is just enough for me. It could very well be a little bigger.

High-resolution cameras will certainly become more and more widespread in the future. My suggestion is to consider adapting the font sizes behind "Small, Default, Large, Extra Large" to the development of cameras. Cameras with 800x600 or even 640x480 will probably hardly be used anymore.

Many greetings
Detlef Paschke
mikb

Re: Font size for timestamp

Post by mikb »

Detlef Paschke wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 6:35 pm Good day,

I just installed a 5MP camera in Zoneminder for testing. I noticed that the font size of the timestamp in the "extra large" setting is just enough for me. It could very well be a little bigger.

High-resolution cameras will certainly become more and more widespread in the future. My suggestion is to consider adapting the font sizes behind "Small, Default, Large, Extra Large" to the development of cameras. Cameras with 800x600 or even 640x480 will probably hardly be used anymore.

Many greetings
Detlef Paschke
But for those that ARE still using 800x600 and 640x480 cameras -- maybe S/D/L/XL could be made a proportion of the camera's declared pixel count -- instead of a fixed size? That way, the font/text would be sized to match the resolution no matter what resolution was in the source stream.
Detlef Paschke

Post by Detlef Paschke »

mikb wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 5:07 pm But for those that ARE still using 800x600 and 640x480 cameras -- maybe S/D/L/XL could be made a proportion of the camera's declared pixel count -- instead of a fixed size? That way, the font/text would be sized to match the resolution no matter what resolution was in the source stream.
That would also be a good option. Unfortunately, that is not the case at the moment. For 2MP cameras, extra large is just enough, anything larger than that becomes very small.
efranzwa

Post by efranzwa »

Agree with the request for making timestamp font height more clearly defined and possibly a proportion of the resolution. I use both Main and Sub streams from my cameras. Even on modern cameras the Sub stream can be very low resolution such as 640x360 pixels and this makes the timestamp too large for some settings. And for the Main stream on modern 12MP cameras the timestamp is not even visible unless you zoom into the area.
ZoneMinder 1.36.33 - Various Reolink, Ubiquiti cameras - NUC6CAYH - Ubuntu Server 22.04
Detlef Paschke

Post by Detlef Paschke »

I think a dependence of the font size on the camera resolution is the best option. The font size can still be specified in S/D/L/XL, but is internally adjusted in proportion to the camera resolution.
This means you have a comparable font size (assumed "default") regardless of whether you use stream 1 of the camera with 5MP or stream 2 with 800x600 pixels.