Playback issues - .sock does not exist

Discussions related to the 1.36.x series of ZoneMinder
MatzR

Playback issues - .sock does not exist

Post by MatzR »

Hi,

I have quite regularly the problem, that the playback of certain recordings doesn't work. The strange thing is that I cannot see a pattern when this happens and when not.
For example today. I have around 10 recordings from the last 24 hours. But when I start to play one after the other, it happens that one doesn't come up. What I mean is I see the screen with the details like Event-ID, Start-time, End-time etc etc. But the frame with the recoding stays white (empty). The log file shows always two errors:
Socket /run/zm/zms-469202s.sock does not exist. This file is created by zms, and since it does not exist, either zms did not run, or zms exited early. Please check your zms logs and ensure that CGI is enabled in apache and check that the PATH_ZMS is set correctly. Make sure that ZM is actually recording. If you are trying to view a live stream and the capture process (zmc) is not running then zms will exit. Please go to http://zoneminder.readthedocs.io/en/lat ... window-etc for more information.
and
getCmdResponse stream error: Socket /run/zm/zms-469202s.sock does not exist. This file is created by zms, and since it does not exist, either zms did not run, or zms exited early. Please check your zms logs and ensure that CGI is enabled in apache and check that the PATH_ZMS is set correctly. Make sure that ZM is actually recording. If you are trying to view a live stream and the capture process (zmc) is not running then zms will exit. Please go to http://zoneminder.readthedocs.io/en/lat ... window-etc for more information. - checkStreamForErrors()
But I don't understand this message as zms apparently did run and CGI is enabled because otherwise why would it have worked 2 minutes before and maybe 1 or 2 minutes thereafter?
dougmccrary

Re: Playback issues - .sock does not exist

Post by dougmccrary »

Are you on the latest release?
Is this something new?
MatzR

Post by MatzR »

Sorry, should have mention it:
ZM 1.36.33 on Debian 11

This is happening for a while now. I just didn't have the time to bring this up here earlier, but it's going on for months.
iconnor

Post by iconnor »

So in master.... I noticed an issue where with a high res stream, it took too long to start up the stream, and the command to scale the image down got ignored.....

So... the point is.. we are somewhat aware of several issues around timing....
MatzR

Post by MatzR »

OK, so nothing I can do for now?
dougmccrary

Post by dougmccrary »

You can try reducing resolution and/or frame rate.
I used to get that a lot, but various tweaks made it rare if ever.
But one of the things that might help if you have the storage space is run mocord with end event on time.
Viher

Post by Viher »

I had the same problem, with Firefox many or most of the times 4k clip files would not load at all, giving same error you provided. Edge changed it to that most of the time file got loaded and was able to watch it and if not, usually reloading and trying again fixed the problem.

SSD write cache on LVM made problem disappear completely, clips load and start to play immediately after clicking event name. Though problem probably will come back when files get "buried deeper" to slower drives.
dougmccrary

Post by dougmccrary »

Oh man...
Yes, if your OS and DB are on rust, spend 20 or 30 bucks on an ssd. 120gb will do unless you store .jpgs or get some huge logs.
MatzR

Post by MatzR »

If I connect a SSD via USB - will that do? Won’t I have again a bandwidth issue due to USB?
Issue is, that I don’t have slots left in my server.
dougmccrary

Post by dougmccrary »

Depends on the USB version.
If it's fairly new it should be fast enough. Anyway, we're talking microseconds for ssd versus milliseconds for rust...