version 1.37 serious event issues

Discussions related to the 1.36.x series of ZoneMinder
apti

version 1.37 serious event issues

Post by apti »

I have an install of 1.37 on a fedora 33 system. I am finding that nearly half the events are corrupt. This is a fresh install with new equipment. Cameras configured properly all imported from older install. I attached a screenshot to show an example of what I mean.
Screenshot from 2021-08-19 10-09-45.png
Screenshot from 2021-08-19 10-09-45.png (495.68 KiB) Viewed 2766 times
Not sure how I ended up with version 1.37.0 but it is not working.
dougmccrary

Re: version 1.37 serious event issues

Post by dougmccrary »

Camera settings differ from older ZM and don’t always map well to 1.36 or 1.37.
Start with that and reduce the number of cameras temporarily.
apti

Post by apti »

I noticed the difference and had to re-setup each camera. at first none worked. This is a production system it is in use and playing around removing cameras is not an option. I got each camera working even though the onvif did not function at all. What is the last known good working version of zoneminder? I have a 1.33.14 working flawlessly, what is involved in downgrading to that version? or can we get the 1.37 working. I have a client all over me for this version. reducing cameras is going to piss them off. I gave them a new pc with zoneminder on fedora 33 to accomodate the number of cameras and now it is screwing up and making me look pretty bad.
I need one of the following...

1... how to downgrade version 1.37.0 to 1.33.14
2... make version 1.37.0 work properly.
3... open to other reasonable solutions. (rebuild is not reasonable nor is removing cameras temporarily)
Andyrh

Post by Andyrh »

I do not think 1.37 is production code. Production (stable) versions are even numbered.
Although you have started with "No", re-installing to 1.36 will be the correct thing to do. Hacking your way to 1.36 or earlier is a solid way to have future problems.
In IT we sometimes make mistakes. Own it, fix it, move on.
Andy
o||||o

Ubuntu 22.04
ZM 1.36.33
E5-1650-v4 Xeon
16 GB RAM
6 cameras -> 54 FPS modect
apti

Post by apti »

yes it is development version and came in thru a dnf install. I did not realize it was development. But now I have to fix and I am working with somebody on that. Changing the encoding to passthrough was suggested to fix the issue. Not crazy about the idea but if I somehow messed up I have to go thru the fix. so if others are experiencing this they can try the passthrough method instead of encoding. This is done in the individual camera settings under the storage tab.
apti

Post by apti »

I have to agree with some people that mentioned to stay away from version 1.36 and 1.37 the problems make the system unusable and my clients are not pleased with me for this version. I am now in process of downgrading to 1.34 to fix problems that include the following

1.. download of events give you a zip with everything except the video and jpg files. (seems you might want these)
2.. Video recording is unstable and often produces unplayable video files (v1.37 only)
3.. some videos take up unusual amounts of space such as a 10 second vid using 2.13 gig (only on some)
4.. playback in browser of videos does not work for 90% of vids
5.. listing of events takes a very long time to show up if you have many events.
6.. Listing of events remembers the last setting such as "all vids" on the page which is fine for small amount but then it remembers this when you have 1000
vids and leaves you stuck waiting.
7.. video preview of an event with mouseover attempts to fit into a small window cutting everything off when you only have 2 or 3 events on list.
8.. web page is resource heavy due to monitor previews and no way to turn that off.
9.. filters do not run in background and delete as they should
10. deleting events does not happen immediately and takes several minutes showing you already deleted events until it gets to actually delete.

I am sure I can find more issues but this is enough for now.
version 1.36 has made me stop future installs of zoneminder. Sad because this cuts off a revenue source but not worth pissing off customers.

I would love help in this as version 1.33 and 1.34 work great. would like to note that I had good help on messenger chat until quitting time for them when I was just dropped and abandoned half way thru support.
Technoholic

Post by Technoholic »

I had the same issue where installing ZM resulted in version 37.x which is a development issue. You need to point your install code source to version 3.6 before installing. On Ubuntu it is: "sudo add-apt-repository ppa:iconnor/zoneminder-1.36".
apti

Post by apti »

Technoholic wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:22 pm I had the same issue where installing ZM resulted in version 37.x which is a development issue. You need to point your install code source to version 3.6 before installing. On Ubuntu it is: "sudo add-apt-repository ppa:iconnor/zoneminder-1.36".
sounds right I just figured that out myself. just wish I knew earlier but the install that had 1.36.5 still had the issues I enumerated.
parky

Post by parky »

does your revenue stream also include funding for paid support for situations like this as this free software comes with none other than the sterling work that the volunteers on here provide in their own time

As Andy mentioned trying to kludge the development version back into a stable one will have very little chance of success. Having also been in IT, you never get to where you want unless you go back to base

A clean install of 1.34 if you are not happy with 1.36 is you only real chance of success and save up for a test system if you are so reliant on keeping your customers happy
apti

Post by apti »

parky wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:47 am does your revenue stream also include funding for paid support for situations like this as this free software comes with none other than the sterling work that the volunteers on here provide in their own time

As Andy mentioned trying to kludge the development version back into a stable one will have very little chance of success. Having also been in IT, you never get to where you want unless you go back to base

A clean install of 1.34 if you are not happy with 1.36 is you only real chance of success and save up for a test system if you are so reliant on keeping your customers happy
I charge for my time on install and the hardware. I only charge support on something if it is not my fault. I never charge for anything that I screw up. It is called ethics.
I have reverted the 1.37 to 1.34 spending an entire day doing this work and setting up from scratch after wiping ZM and all settings out. I did this at no charge over a weekend because I took responsibility for it. The problem was not mine but it sure was not the customer's so I did $600 of free work to fix the problem. I am severely disappointed with zoneminder for putting out versions with so many problems. I am not just talking about 1.37 but also 1.36.5 which has most of the same problems. I have one more install to fix once again providing free support because of the issues. As of last week we ceased promoting zoneminder because of this.
I love zoneminder and all the amazing features. it is a superior system and one of the most incredible things. but until they get things working right it is detrimental to the business. I want zoneminder to get back to a good solid working system and very much want to continue working with them. But my customers are important to me.