NFS mount? No video

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.34.x releases only.
Crazyjpeters

NFS mount? No video

Post by Crazyjpeters »

I'm running an NGINX / 1.34 setup which seems to be working ok, aside from one main problem that I have no stored video. Not stored, no files other than stills when I tell it to store them.

My storage is done with a systemd mount of my ZFS server, mounting nfs.

I've done a bit of searching, and I wonder if this could be a permissions problem, but I don't know. They list as owned by 'nobody'
ZM 1.36
Ubuntu 22.04 LTS / NGINX
ESXi 6.7 VM
SteveGilvarry

Re: NFS mount? No video

Post by SteveGilvarry »

I am pretty much doing the same with a Storage Area on my NAS, except with apache. All mine are www-data owned.
Production Zoneminder 1.37.x (Living dangerously)
Random Selection of Cameras (Dahua and Hikvision)
Crazyjpeters

Post by Crazyjpeters »

I have stills and directories already though. Wouldn't that suggest it has permissions to write? I wonder why else there wouldn't be videos written. Are there any issues with video being saved that have to do with ubuntu or nginx?
ZM 1.36
Ubuntu 22.04 LTS / NGINX
ESXi 6.7 VM
SteveGilvarry

Post by SteveGilvarry »

Possible silly question but under storage you have a Videowriter either passthrough or encode enabled? Not even sure if one of these defaults.
But without that zm would just be storing jpegs that it uses to stream during playback.
Crazyjpeters

Post by Crazyjpeters »

After a bit of playing around, there may be no problem with NFS. I had read about possible solaris issues with NFS permissions, but on further investigation, my /mnt/nfs directory is owned by 'nobody' but the zoneminder/events directory and subdirectories are owned by www-data, as they should be.

JPGs are getting stored, but maybe I misunderstand the way it's supposed to be storing video. I have a low-def substream set up with zones to modect. The high-def stream was set to nodect, linked to the low-def to trigger recording. But I never was able to view video. Today I switched the high-def to 'Record' and it doesn't store video, but there are boatloads of jpg frames, and I can view video in the web console.

So this seems to not be an NFS problem. Just a setup issue? I'm seriously confused at how this is supposed to work. I thought for sure that it was supposed to store MP4 somehow.
ZM 1.36
Ubuntu 22.04 LTS / NGINX
ESXi 6.7 VM
Crazyjpeters

Post by Crazyjpeters »

Well, maybe I'm some kind of moron, but apparently, using X264 encoding is the only thing that works. H264 passthrough is not acceptable for using with an RTSP stream.
ZM 1.36
Ubuntu 22.04 LTS / NGINX
ESXi 6.7 VM
SteveGilvarry

Post by SteveGilvarry »

All my h264 passthrough cameras are RTSP? As long as camera is sending h264 video it will write to an mp4 container when h264 passthrough is on. Historically zm wrote only jpegs that it would stream back.
Got some logs of errors doing passthrough?