ZM is running - So what's next? Stoopid Noob questions

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.34.x releases only.
cpnbnanamn

ZM is running - So what's next? Stoopid Noob questions

Post by cpnbnanamn »

So, I managed to get ZM running on a Pi 3B+ running Buster, and a HikVision cam. So what's next? I want to set this up at our place in the mountains, and only record when there is motion, stored on an external drive, that I can remotely access if needed. Is this feasible? Am I barking up the wrong tree, or just barking? I've been looking for some guidance on here, but unless it's issue-specific, it's unclear at least to me.
Is this a possibility, or should I be looking for a dedicated NVR?
zmc

Re: ZM is running - So what's next? Stoopid Noob questions

Post by zmc »

What you describe is pretty much exactly what an NVR like ZM does, so yes :)

Is there something specific you need help with? Basically you need to
1. Mount the HDD to the Pi so it's available as storage to ZM (outside ZM scope)
2. Configure ZM to use that storage as it's default storage (Options -> Storage)
3. Add the Hikvision camera to ZM and configure it to Modect mode (https://zoneminder.readthedocs.io/en/st ... onitor-tab)
4. Change the motion detection settings if necessary
5. Set up remote access (outside ZM scope, except for ZM user authentication options)
cpnbnanamn

Post by cpnbnanamn »

zmc wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 2:46 pm What you describe is pretty much exactly what an NVR like ZM does, so yes :)

Is there something specific you need help with? Basically you need to
1. Mount the HDD to the Pi so it's available as storage to ZM (outside ZM scope)
2. Configure ZM to use that storage as it's default storage (Options -> Storage)
3. Add the Hikvision camera to ZM and configure it to Modect mode (https://zoneminder.readthedocs.io/en/st ... onitor-tab)
4. Change the motion detection settings if necessary
5. Set up remote access (outside ZM scope, except for ZM user authentication options)
@zmc
Yes, that's more of what I'm looking for. Next steps. What do most use for attached storage in this case? I had considered the idea of a run-of-the-mill self-powered external 1Tb SSD hard drive, but wanted to see what others did.
The goal for this is to be a security cam at our place, setting it up to send me alerts to movement, etc. Mounting the storage to the OS shouldn't be a problem, nor should setting up remote access.

Another stoopid noob question.. I was reading the docs, and seeing a reference to configuring a monitor. I'm assuming this is just a logical binding of a cam to ZM, for config/ control/ etc?
SkippyDo

Post by SkippyDo »

Somewhere in all this you SHOULD set up automated database backups.

I have a server with an SSD as its system disk and a separate HD (2TB?) for all data. HD is partitioned for web pieces and ZM data (events etc.), and another partition for mysql DB (also have a separate partition for backups and software sources). What I need to do is to capture backups to a removable device for actual disaster recovery.

Also, I have the server on a UPS. Primary reason is for power stabilization: I live out in the country. Also, if someone manages to kill my power I'll be able to capture such activities. Of course, if physical security is breached someone could make off with the server (and all data, including last recordings). I'm still pondering this scenario: might get a cable lock on the server. One other beneficial security piece is something like zmNinja where you can have nearly instantaneous notifications of alarms.

Setting up alarms is a fair amount of work. I also recommend utilizing the eventnotification software as you can tweak it to focus alarms on object recognition.
zmc

Post by zmc »

If you mean the "monitor" that is mentioned in the link I posted, you can just replace the word with "camera".

I have one external HDD, no SSD. No fancy backups either since in my case the data is not valuable enough to warrant the extra effort.

If your environment is stable (no movement in objects or light in normal situation) and the objects to be detected are large enough in the camera view, motion detection might be easy to get right. On the contrary if the camera is outside it might be impossible to do (with pixel based detection alone). My camera is outside and I use external PIR sensors to trigger alarms in ZM.
SkippyDo

Post by SkippyDo »

zmc wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 9:38 pm No fancy backups either since in my case the data is not valuable enough to warrant the extra effort.
You're not backing up your database?
zmc

Post by zmc »

No. If my system fails I'll reinstall and accept that I might lose data.

I'm curious though, do you also backup events? I'd assume that the database alone isn't that useful?
Of course, if physical security is breached someone could make off with the server (and all data, including last recordings).
To combat this scenario I have cameras/home automation set up in a way that motion detected footage is uploaded to offsite location while my alarm is set to "away" position.
SkippyDo

Post by SkippyDo »

There's events and then there's events... There is the event data in the database and then there is the jpegs/mpegs.

To answer your question: No, I do not back up the mpegs (storing as video, though there are event thumbnails as well). The reason is is that I care about the DATABASE. Why?

Don't want to lose >>> Configurations <<<.

If you have configured ZM and you lose your database (corruption or whatever) you lose your configurations. Setting up cameras and alarms and such can be pretty time consuming, tuning things in. I recently had to do a full, new install of ZM (1.34) because things crapped out when I upgraded. Because I was also upgrading the OS (Debian) I decided to just start everything over from scratch. I don't yet have my cameras dialed in (zones configured and optimized). I'd had things working very well under 1.30.4. While backups weren't of value for this upgrade/install they WILL be should I run into any DB crash: I've experienced DB corruptions in the past (mostly when messing around upgrading to 1.32), in which case backups saved me from having to reconfigure things all over again (existing events and data were fully available).
zmc

Post by zmc »

Yeah definitely useful in that case. I only have a few cameras and don't use the built in motion detection so setting it up from scratch isn't that big of a deal - assuming that I don't have to do it every year.