Centos8 nginx can't get it installed

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.34.x releases only.
Crazyjpeters

Centos8 nginx can't get it installed

Post by Crazyjpeters »

I've had a couple of swings at installing ZM 1.34 on Centos8 vm. No luck at all. It either fails when I start nginx (commented out lines about SSL) and/or when I start zoneminder.

-Has anyone installed on Centos8 that can tell me what I might be doing wrong? At least confirm whether it's possible to do?
-Is NGINX worth it? PPL badmouthing Apache, but then, I don't see alot of ppl running nginx. Is it better? Is it more complicated?
-I'm using zmhost as my hostname. How does that hostname affect things? What needs changing to suit? Every instance of localhost I find?

In general, I'm looking to run it on my local network, and at some point, I might try to get ZMninja working through a VPN from my tomato router. Is that the generally accepted method of watching when outside of your local network?
ZM 1.36
Ubuntu 22.04 LTS / NGINX
ESXi 6.7 VM
mythedoff

Re: Centos8 nginx can't get it installed

Post by mythedoff »

Had a similar problem in Ubuntu server. Apache2 was running. Stopped it and nginx then started.
Crazyjpeters

Post by Crazyjpeters »

I gave up on Centos for zoneminder. Turfed the VM, and had ubuntu / LEMP running nginx in a couple hours. Centos obviously doesn't get enough attention here.
ZM 1.36
Ubuntu 22.04 LTS / NGINX
ESXi 6.7 VM
knight-of-ni

Post by knight-of-ni »

Nginx uses a lot less memory than Apache, which makes it ideal for something like a Raspberry Pi. If memory is not an issue for you or you are not familiar with nginx, then you are better off sticking with Apache.

I build and maintain the zoneminder packages in rpmfusion.

It's hard to know what went wrong with your installation. In the future try posting relevant log entries, stating exactly what the failure is.
Visit my blog for ZoneMinder related projects using the Raspberry Pi, Orange Pi, Odroid, and the ESP8266
All of these can be found at https://zoneminder.blogspot.com/
bbunge

Post by bbunge »

Crazyjpeters wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 12:23 pm I've had a couple of swings at installing ZM 1.34 on Centos8 vm. No luck at all. It either fails when I start nginx (commented out lines about SSL) and/or when I start zoneminder.

-Has anyone installed on Centos8 that can tell me what I might be doing wrong? At least confirm whether it's possible to do?
-Is NGINX worth it? PPL badmouthing Apache, but then, I don't see alot of ppl running nginx. Is it better? Is it more complicated?
-I'm using zmhost as my hostname. How does that hostname affect things? What needs changing to suit? Every instance of localhost I find?

In general, I'm looking to run it on my local network, and at some point, I might try to get ZMninja working through a VPN from my tomato router. Is that the generally accepted method of watching when outside of your local network?
Will try to answer a couple of your questions.
Have not used Centos in a while. Am mainly a Ubuntu person but also do Debian. I do have Ubuntu and Debian Zoneminder servers running in "production" environments with NGINX. All are doing very well with the recent Zoneminder releases. I do have a couple servers with a small (128GB) SSD for boot/OS and a 1 TB spinning rust for event storage. These work very well!

All my production servers are behind the router firewall. One "customer" does not want access from the internet. The other has had Zoneminder on various used PC's for over 10 years. I have the router set to port forward SSL to the Zoneminder server. As I manage the network remotely via OpenVPN I also have access that way. Oh, yes, I access the Pi3 in my home network over OpenVPN.
Two links for you:
https://wiki.zoneminder.com/Ubuntu_Serv ... .2C_PHP.29
https://wiki.zoneminder.com/Debian_10_B ... .2C_PHP.29