I just tried messing with 1.34.5 and have had a few issues...

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.34.x releases only.
jpcy

I just tried messing with 1.34.5 and have had a few issues...

Post by jpcy »

Hi, all.

I haven't used ZM for a while, so I thought I'd install the latest version to see how development is going.

It took me a few minutes to work out how to add a web site web cam (something I do to test performance and setup.)

I used the 'Website' source type (issues encountered detailed in 1(a), below), but when I found out that it doesn't record and generally behaves differently compared to what I expected, I selected ffmpeg (2).

Hare are just a couple of issues I've been getting with the new version 1.34.5 - Installed from the repo on Debian 10, as per bbunge's instructions.

1. Adding a 'Website' source is problematic.
a) When adding, the log indicates that 'Orientation' was not specified and the SQL data could not be inserted into the table:

Code: Select all

SQL-ERR 'SQLSTATE[23000]: Integrity constraint violation: 1048 Column 'Orientation' cannot be null', statement was 'INSERT INTO Monitors (`Id`, `Name`, `Notes`, `ServerId`, `StorageId`, `Type`, `Function`, `Enabled`, `LinkedMonitors`, `Triggers`, `Device`, `Channel`, `Format`, `V4LMultiBuffer`, `V4LCapturesPerFrame`, `Protocol`, `Method`, `Host`, `Port`, `SubPath`, `Path`, `Options`, `User`, `Pass`, `Width`, `Height`, `Colours`, `Palette`, `Orientation`, `Deinterlacing`, `DecoderHWAccelName`, `DecoderHWAccelDevice`, `SaveJPEGs`, `VideoWriter`, `OutputCodec`, `OutputContainer`, `EncoderParameters`, `RecordAudio`, `RTSPDescribe`, `Brightness`, `Contrast`, `Hue`, `Colour`, `EventPrefix`, `LabelFormat`, `LabelX`, `LabelY`, `LabelSize`, `ImageBufferCount`, `WarmupCount`, `PreEventCount`, `PostEventCount`, `StreamReplayBuffer`, `AlarmFrameCount`, `SectionLength`, `MinSectionLength`, `FrameSkip`, `MotionFrameSkip`, `AnalysisFPSLimit`, `AnalysisUpdateDelay`, `MaxFPS`, `AlarmMaxFPS`, `FPSReportInterval`, `RefBlendPerc`, `AlarmRefBlendPerc`, `Controllable`, `ControlId`, `ControlDevice`, `ControlAddress`, `AutoStopTimeout`, `TrackMotion`, `TrackDelay`, `ReturnLocation`, `ReturnDelay`, `DefaultRate`, `DefaultScale`, `SignalCheckPoints`, `SignalCheckColour`, `WebColour`, `Exif`, `Sequence`, `ZoneCount`, `Refresh`, `DefaultCodec`) VALUES (?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?)' params:,Monitor-7,,0,0,WebSite,Monitor,1,,,,0,0,,1,,,,,,https://trafficcameras.uk/cameras/2188.jpg,,,,352,288,4,0,,0,,,3,0,,,# Lines beginning with # are a comment # For changing quality, use the crf option# 1 is best, 51 is worst quality#crf=23,0,0,-1,-1,-1,-1,Event-,%N - %d/%m/%y %H:%M:%S,0,0,1,20,0,5,5,0,1,600,10,0,0,,0,,,100,6,6,0,,,,,0,,-1,,100,100,0,#0000BE,#654d0e,0,4,0,10,auto
However, the 'orientation' cannot be set for a 'website' source as the 'Orientation' drop-down is removed from the interface. The upshot is no monitor being added. To work around this bug, I have to initially add it as a 'cURL (HTTP(S) Only)' source, then change it to 'Website' after it has been added;

b) The 'maintain aspect ratio' option for the monitor seems to be completely ignored in montage view (The height is not changed as a ratio of the width, creating image previews which are ~50% the width of the page (2-wide view), yet a fixed number of pixels high.) Not sure why. Could be another bug or I could be missing something obvious;

2. The montage view of the website 'cams' stopped working at some point last night with no errors in my error log, yet the status of the monitors remained green. I changed the monitor type to ffmpeg and now I get previews in montage OK (eventually), but the log and cams are in a permanent error state (red), although the monitors are previewing fine. Though, I have noticed that they flick between 'Record' and 'Idle' randomly. Conversely, when the log & cams showed no errors (green) I had no cams working and no montage. Is this a bug? I mean it seems a tad backwards, in my opinion. :?

3. The 'FORCE ALARM' button on the right of the single monitor preview keeps disappearing and reappearing randomly, which moves the control buttons under the live image, making me miss my intended button in the interface. Could be linked to the uncertain state of the monitor;

4. Less important, but still part of the whole user experience, is a variety of HTML controls (namely on the console page) are badly laid out, clashing or just look visually awkward. In particular, the drop-down fields and the text fields appear to be different heights and the monitor list has no whitespace to separate it from the 'ADD', 'EDIT', 'DELETE' & 'SELECT' buttons just above, creating a cramped, awkward feel to the interface. Also, the page headers collapse/respond in a rather clumsy way, knocking things out of alignment and wrapping blocks awkwardly creating an overabundance of whitespace and wasting screen space;

IMHO, I would say ZM still needs more work on solidifying the web interface and on reliable error detection and reporting.

The first time I used ZM, I had installed it at a friend's house capturing images from some awfully cheap Chinese 'security' cameras, and it did it admirably well given the cheap desktop PC it was running on. I mean, it's always been rather peculiar to get working, but once it is set up, it's usually OK, only needing the occasional reboot to start it recording again. It did, however, fail to record for a few important events which included a theft, but I never told him it would be perfect, just inexpensive.

I hope this sheds some light on how things are going and helps you improve things. If you need any of logs and configurations, just let me know.

Do you need someone to work on the web interface for you? I will help if I can. :mrgreen:

Best regards.
iconnor

Re: I just tried messing with 1.34.5 and have had a few issues...

Post by iconnor »

Yes we need help on the web ui.

Thanks for the heads up wrt creating a website type monitor. Please note that the website type is for displaying actual website content, not for recording anything.
jpcy

Post by jpcy »

Hello, iconnor :mrgreen:
iconnor wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:20 pm Thanks for the heads up wrt creating a website type monitor.
My pleasure. I hope it helps.
iconnor wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:20 pm Please note that the website type is for displaying actual website content, not for recording anything
Yes, I eventually cottoned-on :oops: - A direct fetch from a site with a refresh timer as opposed to a capture/analysis via a LAN cam or BTTV input?
iconnor wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:20 pm Yes we need help on the web ui.
Brilliant. How do I get my hands dirty?? :D

-jpcy
jpcy

Post by jpcy »

Hi iconnor,

The below image shows the kind of errors I'm getting whilst attempting to get Montage view to display. Seems to be non-existent DOM elements?

More often than not, the only monitor which displays is the source which is in an error state in the console. :?

There's also three new, confusing warning messages at the top that I've never seen before.
ZoneMinder log (Montage & new errors)
ZoneMinder log (Montage & new errors)
Screenshot_2020-04-02 ZM - System Log.jpg (798.42 KiB) Viewed 1993 times
It worked for a short time, then last I checked montage is pretty much empty. :(

Are these common errors, or am I managing to do something really wrong? :oops:

jpcy

PS: Took me a while to sort out the attachment as there was no indication of max. size. :?
iconnor

Post by iconnor »

This is a pretty special situation. I have no idea what you have done to your system to get here, but I'll be looking over your previous posts looking for clues.

the view=none case is special, and should just close the window. Not log those errors. I will be reviewing the code.
jpcy

Post by jpcy »

iconnor wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:17 pm This is a pretty special situation. I have no idea what you have done to your system to get here, but I'll be looking over your previous posts looking for clues.

the view=none case is special, and should just close the window. Not log those errors. I will be reviewing the code.
I freely admit, I don't have a vanilla, out-of-the-box OS install. I mean, I have added packages and configured my applications as per my own preferences, but I suppose that's about average for most users, right? :lol:

I was thinking maybe it was a privacy add-on which was blocking in-line script insertions/injections (?? maybe causing the getElementById() calls to fail? It was sporadic, so idk...). I have currently deactivated the add-on (FF: Privacy Badger) for my ZM server to see the effect. Montage is currently working again. I will update if anything changes. :mrgreen:

OOI, does ZoneMinder inject in-line script elements? If so, can it be done without inserting script blocks?

Shall I just clone and submit changes via git??
iconnor

Post by iconnor »

I suppose I could install privacy badger and see for myself. We generally stay aware from inline js. There are still a few though.

Yes you should just clone and submit changes via PR in git.
iconnor

Post by iconnor »

confirmed with privacy badger the cgi image streams don't happen... lots of CSP reports...