Hikvision 720p with Hd Balun problem

A place for discussion of topics that are not specific to ZoneMinder. This could include Linux, Video4Linux, CCTV cameras or any other topic.
Clio

Hikvision 720p with Hd Balun problem

Post by Clio »

Hi guys,
I'm trying to connect an Hikvision 720p camera to zoneminder using Hikvision HD baluns and cat 5e cables, but everything I got is a completely scrambled image.
I've tried using two pairs of copper in every balun with no change in image, I've tried 2 different power supplies and no change.
I've tried every combination of resolution, color depth, capture palette, etc, with no change in the image.
Please, can someone help me? I need some guidance on this problem, my knowledge about cctv cameras and hardware is very limited, so I'm really lost with this.
I'm using Zoneminder 1.34 / Centos 7
Card: IVC-120G [card=111], PCI subsystem ID is ff00:a182

Cctv Monitor image attached.

Thanks!
Attachments
Capturecctv.JPG
Capturecctv.JPG (87.3 KiB) Viewed 3938 times
Bluemax

Re: Hikvision 720p with Hd Balun problem

Post by Bluemax »

The IVC-120G card is an BT8x8 analogue TV card if i get it right so its rather 480p/576p resolution.
Try to pull the cable and see if the picture changes at all.
The card/driver can be configured somehow (input channel, composite/s-video, NTSC/PAL, resolution and such). It might be not set up properly. This probably has to be done outside of ZoneMinder.
Clio

Post by Clio »

Hi,
Thanks for your answer, I tested the system with another similar camera (720p), and the image is visible without problems (configured as 640x480).
I don't know if the baluns are the same as the camera that is giving me problems because I don't have access to them.

Do you know if that pattern on the image is produced by some kind of grounding or interference, or if the HD baluns needs something special?

Thanks.
Bluemax

Post by Bluemax »

What i wanted to say is that you might try to disconnect and re-connect the cable of the camera to see if the picture changes at all. The question here is if the picture is a default "garbage" signal from the card or is it an actual signal from the camera. Usually, even if the sync is incorrect you would see global luminance/brightness changes from the actual camera picture (unless the signal is distorted completely).

If you think its a cable problem you can probably test the corresponding cable pairs with a voltmeter, oscilloscope or cabletester. The baluns should be useful here as they connect the pairs. But you should better google that. I've never done that.

And again, be aware that this is an SD CCTV 480p (analog) connection, not 720p/HD. These are fundamentally different systems.

Maybe post your question here as well.