Modect dropping frames in recordings

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.34.x releases only.
kylegp

Modect dropping frames in recordings

Post by kylegp »

Hi there,

I have 1.34.0 installed with two cameras currently on Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia, MATE.

It's installed on a Mac Mini I had lying around from 2009. Using Wanscam IP Cameras.

One camera I've left in monitor for this testing, the other I've done the testing with regards to modect mode.

Everything works fine, getting about 24-25 frames when monitoring it and if I simply set it to recording mode, the footage that's recorded and played back is the exact same, nice and smooth.

However if I use Modect mode, while the live view appears normal and smooth I've noticed that when replaying the captured footage that the framerate is lower or it's lost frames and the playback is slightly choppy.

I've tried to play around with values from the Buffer tab but nothing seems to make a difference. I've just left them at the default values for now.

Any idea why this is only an occurrence with modect and why its affecting the recordings?
bbunge

Re: Modect dropping frames in recordings

Post by bbunge »

Are you using x.264 or jpeg storage? Not sure but the playback may not match the frame rate of the camera. Could also be a hardware issue. The gui desktop may be using too many resources.
kylegp

Re: Modect dropping frames in recordings

Post by kylegp »

bbunge wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:02 pm Are you using x.264 or jpeg storage? Not sure but the playback may not match the frame rate of the camera. Could also be a hardware issue. The gui desktop may be using too many resources.
Not too sure actually. How would I confirm this?

Protocol is HTTP not RTSP (so I would assume Jpeg storage?).

Under the monitor settings I'm just using "Remote" for the source type then filling the hostname, port and using /videostream.cgi?user=x&pwd=x under path.

Is there an obvious way to confirm that the hardware or GUI not keeping up is the result of this issue?