ZoneMinder makes Raspberry super slow

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.32.x releases only.
bugmenot

ZoneMinder makes Raspberry super slow

Post by bugmenot »

I have ZoneMinder 1.32.3-2 in Raspberry Pi 3 B Raspbian 3.1.1. ZoneMinder and Firefox are only apps i have installed.

ZoneMinder works and shows one test USB-camera.

Raspberry behaved normally when ZoneMinder was installed and had 0 cameras but when i added one camera to ZoneMinder, entire Raspberry became super slow. Everything takes long time and for instance if first thing i do after reboot is open Terminal and do simple sudo apt-get update, everything is super slow and many times terminal commands times out.

Even launching Firefox takes minutes and Raspberry clock in menubar stops totally.

Task Manager don’t show any high cpu usage. Htop shows www-data cpu 35% some times there is two www-data with 35%.

What might cause this?

Is there any simple command line code which toggles ZoneMinder on/off so i can temporarily turn it off?

I installed using these instructions:
viewtopic.php?f=38&t=28389#p110954
kitkat

Re: ZoneMinder makes Raspberry super slow

Post by kitkat »

Code: Select all

service zoneminder stop
service zoneminder start
Or...

systemctl stop zoneminder.service
systemctl start zoneminder.service
bbunge

Post by bbunge »

I recommend running the pi without the gui when you install Zoneminder. The pi 3 has a gig of ram of which 500 meg is used by tmpfs. The full gui version of Rasperian eats that up quickly. Also use low res cameras.
bugmenot

Post by bugmenot »

bbunge wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:57 am I recommend running the pi without the gui when you install Zoneminder. The pi 3 has a gig of ram of which 500 meg is used by tmpfs. The full gui version of Rasperian eats that up quickly. Also use low res cameras.
I have set lots of settings in my Raspbian which has GUI so i would like to keep those settings etc.

Is there any commands that remove the GUI stuff afterwards now that i have ZoneMinder installed?
kitkat

Post by kitkat »

I don't know about removing it, but this will prevent it starting at boot...

sudo update-rc.d lightdm disable
Or, you can run raspi-config for an interactive approach...

sudo raspi-config
mikb

Post by mikb »

bugmenot wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:48 am Task Manager don’t show any high cpu usage.
and yet your Raspberry PI becomes super slow?

Is there any possibility that you have managed to warm the processor up to the point where throttling occurs (the newer 3B/4 PIs run a lot hotter than the old ones, and use thermal management to save themselves cooking). Check into how to monitor the temperature and throttling, from before ZM is running, and after you've started it.

Assuming you can get anything done, you may need to have the commands ready in a terminal! ;)

Also, how much memory do you have available -- it's not just CPU cycles you might run out of, especially at higher resolutions. You are using one camera, but you don't say what resolution you are expecting ...