Hardware specs for complete system build

Post here to ask any questions about hardware suitability, configuration in ZoneMinder, or experiences. If you just want to know if something works with ZoneMinder or not, please check the Hardware Compatibility sections in the forum, and the Wiki first. Also search this topic as well.
bigdonk

Hardware specs for complete system build

Post by bigdonk »

I am new to Zoneminder as I just came across it the other day. I am planning on setting up a system and looking for TONS of advice on Hardware. I have built many pcs, but never a server. I have been reading a ton of other posts on specs and from everything I have read, it looks like an off lease server may be the best bang for my buck. I figured I would try and be as specific as possible to get some help.

I am looking for recommendations on Cameras and Server Hardware. I am not looking for a cheap build nor do i want to build a Ferrari, but a nice well spec'd reliable system is my goal. Not afraid to spend a couple extra bucks if its worth it.

Cameras:
  • I am planning to have 10-12 cameras. I would like to have some type of "Night vision on all of them", unless someone can convince me otherwise.
  • All cameras should have a good resolution and motion detection. (Not sure if it matters if the Server does the motion detection or its built into the camera)
  • All cameras will be fixed position.
  • 3-4 Exterior Cameras - distance(50-100'). Min 150° view, but wider angle would be very beneficial.
  • 2 Garage Cameras - Just something simple to see in (2) 20'x20' garages.
  • 2 Interior Cameras Small 12'x12' rooms
  • 2 Interior Cameras Small Hallways 4'x15'
  • 1-2 Interior Cameras Large Rooms 15'x40'
Monitoring:
  • None of the cameras will be set for 24/7 recording.
  • They will all be set for motion detection. (Exterior Cameras are not in a High motion area, probably closer to a Low motion area than a medium.)
  • I am also planning to set up a mobile app and an Arduino keypad to change monitoring levels so Interior motion detect will be off for daytime hours
  • Don't think I would have more than 2 zones on any camera, and most interior cameras will probably be a single zone
Server:
  • There should not be any need for future expansion, but I would rather get a server/pc that isn't labored with current setup.
  • Looked on Ebay for off lease servers, but to be honest I have no idea what I am looking at. I would think I could get something solid for $250-$500, but again this is out of my wheelhouse so I may be wrong.
  • It will be installed as a stand alone unit in a continuously 65° area (basement).
  • What would be the best server version to install?
Hopefully this is specific enough to get some good suggestions.

Thx,
Don
snake

Re: Hardware specs for complete system build

Post by snake »

I'll try to answer some of these questions...
bigdonk wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:41 pm I would like to have some type of "Night vision on all of them", unless someone can convince me otherwise.
Entirely up to you. If you have cameras that point at a light, you may not need IR. External IR is best. Keep in mind that there is a difference between having the IR night vision, and having IR LEDs. Many cameras will work in the dark, but require external IR LEDs. Others include them.
bigdonk wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:41 pm All cameras should have a good resolution and motion detection. (Not sure if it matters if the Server does the motion detection or its built into the camera)
Cameras that do the motion detection will require some configuration, though it is better to have the motion detection off the server when possible for less CPU usage.
bigdonk wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:41 pm 3-4 Exterior Cameras - distance(50-100'). Min 150° view, but wider angle would be very beneficial.
The cameras that you put outdoors will need water proofing, and temperature relevant for your area. You can use other cameras indoors without.
bigdonk wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:41 pm I am also planning to set up a mobile app and an Arduino keypad to change monitoring levels so Interior motion detect will be off for daytime hours
Let us know what you design up for a keypad. I'm toying with the idea of changing runstates via the API with hardware, but I think the API requires an SBC.
bigdonk wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:41 pm What would be the best server version to install?
Support on these forums tends to favor Ubuntu. I think you will have good luck with Ubuntu, RHEL, or Debian based distributions. Install a minimal base without X.