Upgrade from 1.30.4

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.32.x releases only.
Yamanipanuchi

Upgrade from 1.30.4

Post by Yamanipanuchi »

Im currently running ZM 1.30.4. Im having the darnedest time trying to find information as to how to upgrade to 1.32.

I see a lot of people saying they HAVE upgraded. Either its super simple and im over looking it, Or its truly NOT out there?

Anyone have a link to a post or upgrade instructions?
bbunge

Re: Upgrade from 1.30.4

Post by bbunge »

Linux distro and version?

If Ubuntu see: https://wiki.zoneminder.com/Common_Issu ... _on_Ubuntu
SkippyDo

Post by SkippyDo »

Any info for upgrades on Debain 9? (I'm not even sure what basic upgrade actions would be necessary, let alone for a specific OS. I once compiled and built from scratch 1.30.4 and later installed the pre-buiilt binary, but never have upgraded.)
bbunge

Post by bbunge »

You should be able to add the multimedia repository and do an upgrade. Might have to upgrade the database manually.
If I get a chance I will load up a test version to see if it works.
bbunge

Post by bbunge »

Found the Debian package on the Experimental repo: https://packages.debian.org/experimental/zoneminder

Now, to learn how to add that repro and install/upgrade...
SkippyDo

Post by SkippyDo »

OK, thanks. I've got this simmering on the back burner, though intend to bump it when the front burners are cleared.
bbunge

Post by bbunge »

Here ya go! Debian 9 with Zoneminder 1.32.2 fresh install:

https://wiki.zoneminder.com/Debian_9_64 ... ntal_Repro

Next to reload Debian 9 with Zoneminder 1.30.4 and try an upgrade.
bbunge

Post by bbunge »

My attempt to upgrade Debian 9 ZM 1.30.4 to ZM 1.32.2 did not go too well.

You may be able to succeed if you take a dump of the ZM database, remove zoneminder, which will leave the saved events, Install ZM 1.32.2 but do not start it or stop it soonest, drop the database, import the saved database and run an upgrade, grant permissions, start Zoneminder. Should work.
snake

Post by snake »

bbunge wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:14 pm Here ya go! Debian 9 with Zoneminder 1.32.2 fresh install:

https://wiki.zoneminder.com/Debian_9_64 ... ntal_Repro
Thanks. Recently, I had installed Devuan Ascii which is 9, and managed to install a fresh ZM 1.32.2 using the docker scripts for ubuntu 16 or 18, but this is a lot simpler.
SkippyDo

Post by SkippyDo »

Well, looks like the time came sooner than I'd expected: I destroyed my database(s) while trying to resolve an interface issue (long story that I'd already like to forget!). So, the question, for me, now becomes: How do I install this release when I have a trashed 1.30.4 install?

I don't know what all my configs were before. If there are files that can be salvaged to aid in any new install I'd like to do so in order to lessen the pain that I'm now facing.

Thanks!
SkippyDo

Post by SkippyDo »

I've got a fresh install of Debian 9 and am now ready to install 1.32.x: took me a while to get UEIF and an SSD system drive configured! (switched from BIOS/MBR)

Regarding the instructions shown in the above link, I would follow the 1.30.4 instructions for the LAMP parts and then follow "Debian 9 with Zoneminder 1.32.2 from the Experimental Repro" for for the remainder, yes?

Can I affect/define where the data files (mariaDB database and ZM events and images) get stored during install? I have information on how to move mariaDB and zoneminder events and images, but would prefer to set things up at install time. My install of 1.30.4 had everything on my system disk: I have a large secondary disk that is more suitable. It would be nice to have a guide of best practices.
SkippyDo

Post by SkippyDo »

OK... have my server back up and now attempting to install per the instructions linked above.

'sudo apt list --upgradeable' returns a ton of packages (366), all marked as "unstable." Am I effectively upgrading my system to "sid?"

At this point I'm hesitant to proceed.
Last edited by SkippyDo on Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
SkippyDo

Post by SkippyDo »

OK, got a bit impatient (after having a working system for nearly a year I felt naked w/o an operational system) and proceeded. All seems to have went fine with the install, though I'm battling a wireless interface problem that appears to be due to files from the sid release: all was working fine (connection persisted between boots) after a fresh install of Debian 9, but after the package upgrades I can't get the connection to persist. This is not an issue with ZM, but it's keeping me from proceeding because the server is headless and I need the wireless connection for managing it: I have to shut the server down and move it to connect it up to the cameras.
bbunge

Post by bbunge »

SkippyDo wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:51 am OK, got a bit impatient (after having a working system for nearly a year I felt naked w/o an operational system) and proceeded. All seems to have went fine with the install, though I'm battling a wireless interface problem that appears to be due to files from the sid release: all was working fine (connection persisted between boots) after a fresh install of Debian 9, but after the package upgrades I can't get the connection to persist. This is not an issue with ZM, but it's keeping me from proceeding because the server is headless and I need the wireless connection for managing it: I have to shut the server down and move it to connect it up to the cameras.
Looks like it is time for you to try Ubuntu. I have a Bionic minimal install "server" running ZM 1.30.4 and it is the most stable setup I've had for years!
SkippyDo

Post by SkippyDo »

Success!

I had to ditch NetworkManager.

Now I've got some api issues, but will start up a separate thread for it.