Upgrade from Ubuntu 16.04 to 18.04 and migrated to 1.31

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.31.x releases only.
jsylvia007

Upgrade from Ubuntu 16.04 to 18.04 and migrated to 1.31

Post by jsylvia007 »

So... I migrated my server running 1.30 on Ubuntu 16.04 that was running perfectly, over to 18.04.

Since then, it seems like everything is broken. No matter what I tried, my web console always said that ZoneMinder was stopped. I even tried the script on the wiki that broke things even worse...

I decided, HEY, since I'm an idiot, and DIDN'T do a database backup, I'm now royally screwed, let's go ahead and just upgrade to 1.31.46, because why not!

Well... Here is where I am...

My logs are filled with the errors in attachment 1, and, the status button in the top right corner still says "Stopped", even though I *know* it's running.

Lastly, I can't view any of my monitors, I get a broken image icon, and I've checked and double-checked paths.

Can anyone help me troubleshoot this? I've been at it now for almost 6 hours and I can't seem to find anything useful in any logs.
Attachments
attach_1.png
attach_1.png (180.67 KiB) Viewed 3709 times
bbunge

Re: Upgrade from Ubuntu 16.04 to 18.04 and migrated to 1.31

Post by bbunge »

jsylvia007 wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:54 am So... I migrated my server running 1.30 on Ubuntu 16.04 that was running perfectly, over to 18.04.

Since then, it seems like everything is broken. No matter what I tried, my web console always said that ZoneMinder was stopped. I even tried the script on the wiki that broke things even worse...

I decided, HEY, since I'm an idiot, and DIDN'T do a database backup, I'm now royally screwed, let's go ahead and just upgrade to 1.31.46, because why not!

Well... Here is where I am...

My logs are filled with the errors in attachment 1, and, the status button in the top right corner still says "Stopped", even though I *know* it's running.

Lastly, I can't view any of my monitors, I get a broken image icon, and I've checked and double-checked paths.

Can anyone help me troubleshoot this? I've been at it now for almost 6 hours and I can't seem to find anything useful in any logs.
Sorry to hear your system is toast. You may be best to start over with a fresh Ubuntu install. I feel 16.04 runs a bit faster than 18.04 but...

In case you missed it there are upgrade instructions to go from 16.04 ZM 1.30.4 to 18.04 ZM 1.30.4 at: https://wiki.zoneminder.com/Common_Issu ... _ZM_1.30.4
You may be able to remove the existing ZM and purge the database then install 1.30.4 on your system: https://wiki.zoneminder.com/Ubuntu_Serv ... e_easy_way
or install the development version 1.31.x, which has some minor issues. This weekend I have done installs and upgrades of 1.31.x on Ubuntu 16.04 and 18.04 successfully. Still not ready to publish install instructions although there are websites out there that have half accurate instructions...

bb
jsylvia007

Post by jsylvia007 »

bbunge wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:10 pm
Sorry to hear your system is toast. You may be best to start over with a fresh Ubuntu install. I feel 16.04 runs a bit faster than 18.04 but...

In case you missed it there are upgrade instructions to go from 16.04 ZM 1.30.4 to 18.04 ZM 1.30.4 at: https://wiki.zoneminder.com/Common_Issu ... _ZM_1.30.4
You may be able to remove the existing ZM and purge the database then install 1.30.4 on your system: https://wiki.zoneminder.com/Ubuntu_Serv ... e_easy_way
or install the development version 1.31.x, which has some minor issues. This weekend I have done installs and upgrades of 1.31.x on Ubuntu 16.04 and 18.04 successfully. Still not ready to publish install instructions although there are websites out there that have half accurate instructions...

bb
I'm pissed at myself for not making a snapshot of the VM... I got cocky. I've upgraded 5 servers from 16.04 to 18.04 without any issues... And this was the last one. Lesson learned.

I'm going to try to purge off the installation and re-create everything from scratch with 1.30. If I don't have to rebuild the whole VM, it won't be quite so bad...
bbunge

Post by bbunge »

In case you want to know, the likely reason your upgrade failed is that Zoneminder was not included in 18.04. Therefore, the upgrade did not find an install for Zoneminder and removed it as an obsolete package. The database and events were left. There were also changes to PHP, Cake and Crud. I was able to modify a 17.10 install package for ZM and incorporate the changes. So, you may be able to use the install procedure in the WIKI to get your VM to work. Or just create another VM and move on.
jsylvia007

Post by jsylvia007 »

bbunge wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:43 pm In case you want to know, the likely reason your upgrade failed is that Zoneminder was not included in 18.04. Therefore, the upgrade did not find an install for Zoneminder and removed it as an obsolete package. The database and events were left. There were also changes to PHP, Cake and Crud. I was able to modify a 17.10 install package for ZM and incorporate the changes. So, you may be able to use the install procedure in the WIKI to get your VM to work. Or just create another VM and move on.
I followed the upgrade guide you linked to, but there were just tons of issues.

I think i'm actually using your package now on Bionic, and except for the fact that I've lost all the previous events, I *think* I'm almost resurrected.