Running ZM in a VM

Post here to ask any questions about hardware suitability, configuration in ZoneMinder, or experiences. If you just want to know if something works with ZoneMinder or not, please check the Hardware Compatibility sections in the forum, and the Wiki first. Also search this topic as well.
apolonio

Running ZM in a VM

Post by apolonio »

I recall some people running Zoneminder on VMware. I think it would work for a VM with 1 or 2 vCPU, but because it can get CPU intensive, wouldn't you start having problems with costop as you add more vCPU?

I get this all the time, the application on the VM is running slow, so the owner asks for more vCPU, I push back and say it will run slower, they don't believe, then I give them something like 8 cores to prove my point and their application performance gets worse.
xenoxaos

Re: Running ZM in a VM

Post by xenoxaos »

I'm currently running ZM on a KVM hyp. I'm not having any issues. It's currently on a 24 core hyp and I think I have 12 vCPUs to the VM and it's running 8 1080p cameras. Since ZM runs each camera in it's own process, it works fine.
Lee Sharp

Re: Running ZM in a VM

Post by Lee Sharp »

I am also running on KVM but with only 2 cores, and 4gig of ram. Load is not over .5 most of the time. Never over 1. I think it will need to be scoped properly, and you should also have the actual headroom on your hypervisor is it is not intermittent load!