4K resolution doesn't work. Other resolutions work fine.

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.30.x releases only.
thegizzard

4K resolution doesn't work. Other resolutions work fine.

Post by thegizzard »

Hello. I am using Zoneminder 1.30.4.

I have 5 cameras. 4 Amcrest and 1 Hikvision doorbell. My newest Amcrest (IP8M-2496EB) supports 4K resolution. 4K solution results in the attached error. When I set the zoneminder monitor (monitor 7) to a resolution of 2560*1440 everything works fine. When I set it to 3840*2160 errors start flying.

For more information I am running zoneminder on unraid in a docker. The machine has 48gb of ram and the zoneminder load max is less than 4.00.

Attached is a copy of the log file.

Any ideas?
Attachments
zm-log.txt
(25.16 KiB) Downloaded 171 times
robfish

Re: 4K resolution doesn't work. Other resolutions work fine.

Post by robfish »

I just installed my fourth 8 Megapixelcamera but had trouble obviously overloading my Zoneminder.
The fix was to lower the resolution. I found that various combinations worked (lower res on all or have a mixture).
thegizzard

Post by thegizzard »

Is that a fix though? Can you tell what is being overloaded?

Zoneminder says its supports 4K, so I assumed that means without reducing the resolution.

My other cameras are 720p, so I do not know how I can lower these and keep 2160p on the new 4K camera. I would like to get it working without reducing resolution. Has anyone had success?

I also have the max fps at 5 for 5 of the cameras and 12 for the doorbell (which I cannot change at the camera).

So I am running it for low resources I think.
bbunge

Post by bbunge »

thegizzard

Post by thegizzard »

The tmpfs or /dev/shm is pretty low. See the 2 images below. Both have all 5 cams on. One has the 4k set at 1440p and the other at 2160p. Change is minor and still low. I think the problem is something else. Can the problem be diagnosed through the logs I attached?

BTW: I even tried to disable all of the other cameras and zoneminder doesnt work with just 1 4K camera. But 5 cameras with the 4K at 2160p works. I think the problem is something else.

1440p
1440p.JPG
1440p.JPG (18.31 KiB) Viewed 5852 times

2160p
2160p.JPG
2160p.JPG (18.06 KiB) Viewed 5852 times
bbunge

Post by bbunge »

Set your resolution to 640x480 and Zoneminder will work much better. This is a security camera system and not a HD video recorder!
asker

Post by asker »

You may want to turn on debug logs for just that monitor and try and catch the attention of ic0n (Isaac Connor) in the IRC forums. There may be some buffer overflow somewhere in ZM when a single monitor exceeds a specific dimension.
I no longer work on zmNinja, zmeventnotification, pyzm or mlapi. I may respond on occasion based on my available time/interest.

Please read before posting:
How to set up logging properly
How to troubleshoot and report - ES
How to troubleshoot and report - zmNinja
ES docs
zmNinja docs
thegizzard

Post by thegizzard »

bbunge wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:56 pm Set your resolution to 640x480 and Zoneminder will work much better. This is a security camera system and not a HD video recorder!
I have 4 other cameras that work fine at lower resolutions than 8MP/4k. This works fine at 2560x1440 too... so thanks. But my question is whether I can make Zoneminder work with 4K/8MP cameras at full resolution.
thegizzard

Post by thegizzard »

asker wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:56 pm You may want to turn on debug logs for just that monitor and try and catch the attention of ic0n (Isaac Connor) in the IRC forums. There may be some buffer overflow somewhere in ZM when a single monitor exceeds a specific dimension.
I will do that. Can you tell me how to reach the IRC forums?
asker

Post by asker »

thegizzard wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:01 pm I will do that. Can you tell me how to reach the IRC forums?
irc.freenode.net #zoneminder. He also responds here under the name of iconnor. He's generally very swamped, so do make sure:

1. debug logs are available for that monitor
2. you've made sure its not a resolution/colorspace issue (compare with VLC player to ensure dimensions are correct and 32bit color is selected)
I no longer work on zmNinja, zmeventnotification, pyzm or mlapi. I may respond on occasion based on my available time/interest.

Please read before posting:
How to set up logging properly
How to troubleshoot and report - ES
How to troubleshoot and report - zmNinja
ES docs
zmNinja docs
dws

Post by dws »

Usually, when that happens, it's because the computer ZM is running on is either too low on RAM or has too little CPU to process that much data. Try increasing one or both.