Can't initiate email notifications

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.30.x releases only.
SkippyDo

Re: Can't initiate email notifications

Post by SkippyDo »

da7, welcome to the club of the befuddled!

What do you have for a ZM filter? Can you execute it directly and is it coming up with matches? (and I'm assuming that "Email details of all matches" is checked/enabled)

I enabled debugging on zmfilter and I'm still not seeing anything that points to the problem! Alarm states are happening, and events are being captured but zmfilter isn't being called.

BTW - Here's someone else that had this problem. No solution was given. I've PM'd this person but have not heard back, yet.

viewtopic.php?t=24652
SkippyDo

Post by SkippyDo »

Bump...

This issues is driving me nuts.

I am able to trigger an event. Logs show going in and out of alarm mode. No traces of zmfilter running at all. If I run the filter manually I can see the event I just triggered; but, there is NO attempt to invoke email. System shows that the zmfilter.pl process is running.
SkippyDo

Post by SkippyDo »

Well, a bit of a snafu on my part. I wasn't actually executing the filter, I was just submitting. BUT, the Execute button is not enabled. This may very well be at the heart of the problem. I'm logging in a Guest and perhaps I don't have permissions set that allow me to execute? But, this doesn't answer why the system isn't executing.
SkippyDo

Post by SkippyDo »

OK... I am able to execute my filter from the terminal: I have e-mail authentication issues, but, again, that's a totally separate matter.

http://zoneminder.readthedocs.io/en/sta ... vents.html Troubleshooting tips mentions possible problems with the filters running this way (directly from Perl), but in my case it's the opposite: works via Perl, doesn't work within Zoneminder (either automatically or manually [I can't even select "Execute"]).

I do get log entries when executing the filter from a terminal. But nothing of value for the actual problem.
SkippyDo

Post by SkippyDo »

UPDATE:

I now have ZM invoking zmfilter and the email function. So, as far as ZM is concerned I'm all configured correctly. What made it "work?" Not completely sure. I updated the system (Debian 9), though I don't think this was the thing that did it because it had been working previously. The other thing I did was to set the filter's "Archive all matches" bit.

ZM now shows it has attempted to send email. It's now failing as I expect, due to authentication issues with ssmtp and hotmail. I don't have certificates on the system and I'm thinking that I'll need to set them up in order to make this work: not sure how it could have worked before, though.
SkippyDo

SOLVED

Post by SkippyDo »

Educational process for sure.

I had not realized that in order to automate filters one had to set/check "Run filter in background." Thought that their existence as filters would mean they were all considered for every event.

Seems obvious now, but... The documentation mentions this but only in a more side-note kind of way.
rockedge

Post by rockedge »

I've been working on...experimenting with ZM since version 1.24 and still am mystified at times....and forget solutions for problems already solved....bad notes to myself......
montagdude

Re: SOLVED

Post by montagdude »

SkippyDo wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:40 am Educational process for sure.

I had not realized that in order to automate filters one had to set/check "Run filter in background." Thought that their existence as filters would mean they were all considered for every event.

Seems obvious now, but... The documentation mentions this but only in a more side-note kind of way.
Someone said to make sure you have set it to run in the background in post #2. Just saying...
SkippyDo

Re: SOLVED

Post by SkippyDo »

montagdude wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:06 pm
SkippyDo wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:40 am Educational process for sure.

Someone said to make sure you have set it to run in the background in post #2. Just saying...
Yes, and I was thinking that that was more of a workaround rather than "how it should be done." Like I said, the documentation could be a little more forward on this point.