Hardware Recommendation for a small system, 2-4 Cameras

Post here to ask any questions about hardware suitability, configuration in ZoneMinder, or experiences. If you just want to know if something works with ZoneMinder or not, please check the Hardware Compatibility sections in the forum, and the Wiki first. Also search this topic as well.
Martin T

Hardware Recommendation for a small system, 2-4 Cameras

Post by Martin T »

Hello!

I am in the process of setting up 2-4 Cameras to monitor a house.

The cameras will have 1280 x 720 and 1920 x 1080, with something between 5-10 fps, depending on storagespace / required performance.
I'll start with 2 cameras, up to two will be added as/if needed.

I read a lot about Servers with Xeon processors, would I really need that kind of machine for such a small setup?

I would have gone for something small, like one of those small Zotac miniPCs, or an Intel NUC.
Is that possible?
With how much RAM and what kind of Processor ( ARM,celeron, i3, i5, i7, ...) could I get away with?

I am still planning, and will first be installing Zoneminder on my Laptop to try it out on the weekend with a small Foscam Camera.

In parallel I want to gather useful information, so that I can estimate the scope and cost of the project.

Thank you in advance!

Martin
vskatusa

Re: Hardware Recommendation for a small system, 2-4 Cameras

Post by vskatusa »

Martin, xeon is overkill. I bought DELL OPTIPLEX 390 quad core i5 from ebay and installed UBUNTU SERVER 16.04.3 LTS + zoneminder as per the WIKI ...works like a charm. Be careful on the PC if you are going to install UBUNTU ... sometimes drivers might not be available.....that is why I stuck with OPTIPLEX 390!! Wish you good luck
marcopete87

Post by marcopete87 »

i'm using an Asus tinkerboard with 1TB 2.5" hard disk.
it's capable of 3x 1280x720 @ 10fps, but 1x1980x1080 @ 5fps
Nesti

Post by Nesti »

HI, i have the raspberry pi 3, it's work with zoneminder?, i don't want the maximal resolutions.
thanks