Building a new tool - Argus IP Camera Viewer - Feedback welcome

A place for discussion of topics that are not specific to ZoneMinder. This could include Linux, Video4Linux, CCTV cameras or any other topic.
Kode

Building a new tool - Argus IP Camera Viewer - Feedback welcome

Post by Kode »

This is so early it can't even be considered alpha yet, but I am working on an IP camera viewer that can work with multiple backends, initially, the plan is to just support ZoneMinder.

The idea is to create someting easy to use and user friendly, it's really only for my own use, but I thought some people might like it as well.

So far previews only work if Auth isn't on.

I'm new to ZoneMinder (and IP cameras in general), so still getting a feel for what is possible.

Github repository is at https://github.com/linuxserver/Argus

If anyone has any suggestions please let me know.Image
Last edited by Kode on Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kode

Re: Building a new tool - Argus IP Camera Viewer - Feedback welcome

Post by Kode »

Lol, yeah, the npm is to install some dependencies, but it was more for my reference as they are all dev dependencies, the actal app is using Laravel 5.4
loguky

Post by loguky »

Very nice initative! :)
To want to, is to be able to.
Kode

Post by Kode »

Thanks, lots still to do, and to be honest I could do with someone interested in the project who either has a few different cameras and/or is well versed with how zoneminder or/and the API works giving me a hand.
knight-of-ni

Post by knight-of-ni »

hi Kode,
This looks really slick.

The fact that ZoneMinder has had many features added to it over the years, makes it flexible for advanced users but also makes it difficult to learn for new users. We are in need of a front end like this that can simplify things.

If the Argus project is something you are interested in working on for an extended period of time, then I'd recommend you hop over to the zoneminder irc channel on freenode. There you can get to know those of us who regularly contribute to the project, and ask questions.
Visit my blog for ZoneMinder related projects using the Raspberry Pi, Orange Pi, Odroid, and the ESP8266
All of these can be found at https://zoneminder.blogspot.com/
Kode

Post by Kode »

Thanks knnniggett, I've joined the channel so thanks for that suggestion.
Kode

Post by Kode »

Added initial support for OPT_AUTH but the preview isn't currently working for this

Easiest way to install is with docker

docker create --name=argus -p 8765:80 -v /Users/admin/Docker/argus:/config -e PGID=80 -e PUID=501 linuxserver/argus

Replace 8765 with whatever port you want to be able to hit it on.
Replace /Users/admin/Docker/argus with whereever you want to store the persistant settings
Replace PGID and PUID with whatever is appropriate for your system, if you type `id` in terminal you can determine what is suitable for you

After it has downloaded type:

docker start argus

Then you should be able to hit it at something like http://127.0.0.1:8765