Getting ZoneMinder into debian and ubuntu

If you've made a patch to quick fix a bug or to add a new feature not yet in the main tree then post it here so others can try it out.
DeathByPenguins

Post by DeathByPenguins »

False alarm, Looks like I had a loose wire. both monitors are showing colour now.
Added options bttv tuner=4 back in, reboot, and all is looking good so far.
Thanks for all the help guys.

Has made the process less painfull.
Not sure what the i2c-algo-bit bit_test=1 is about, but have got a good starting point to work from now.
:D
tommy

Post by tommy »

Here is an explanation of why the bit_test is set to 1 from the author of the BTTV driver Gerd Knorr:

http://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=98097940526322&w=2
DeathByPenguins

I've just gotten back to this project after a few months on something else.
Now I have no images on my monitors again. I've just turned the server on. Havn't changed anything else. Looks like I will have to go through the whole process again unless someone has another brilliant idea
DeathByPenguins

I can view stills, but no stream. Any ideas?
jameswilson

Post by jameswilson »

Unless you really really want ubuntu please give the live cd a go
James Wilson

Disclaimer: The above is pure theory and may work on a good day with the wind behind it. etc etc.
http://www.securitywarehouse.co.uk
Lee Sharp

Post by Lee Sharp »

I would start with a clean build of Ubuntu. It is quite easy now with the debs in the repos.
DeathByPenguins

Unless you really really want ubuntu please give the live cd a go
Which live CD are we talking about?
I would start with a clean build of Ubuntu. It is quite easy now with the debs in the repos.
added the universe repo's to /etc/apt/sources.list.

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install zoneminder
wasn't available.
Maybe the package you are referring to is in another repository?

So I end up trying to install ftp://www.northern-ridge.com.au/zonemin ... 8_i386.deb
but there are missing dependancies.
So I do a

Code: Select all

apt-get -f install
installed aprx 46 MB. apache2, php5, mysql along with lots of other packages. zoneminder 1.22.3-8 was now installed.
Looks like we still have a few dependancy issues with the ftp://www.northern-ridge.com.au/zonemin ... 8_i386.deb package. Looks like an apt-get -f install manages to sort them out though.

I spent quite a bit of time last week trying to work out why the image streaming seemed to stop working. I'm still not totally sure, but I think it may have come down to an apache configuration issue. As I was getting allot of the same error in the /var/log/apache/error.log.
Error, unable to authenticate user
This started around November 11th, which was when I made a couple of changes. This post jogged my memory
http://www.zoneminder.com/forums/viewto ... 24af9cff84
One was to change plain authentication to hashed in the System tab->ZM_AUTH_RELAY
I changed this back and it made no difference.
I looked at all the other logs I could find. Turned zm debugging up full. Couldn't find anything else that would fix the system.
I'll just have to be allot more careful of "any" changes I make this time around and test zoneminder thoroughly on each change I make.
I'll post back here If/when I find the change I made that broke the streaming. :lol:
jameswilson

Post by jameswilson »

im talking about the live cd from ross here, it even has its own forum area.
James Wilson

Disclaimer: The above is pure theory and may work on a good day with the wind behind it. etc etc.
http://www.securitywarehouse.co.uk
Lee Sharp

Post by Lee Sharp »

Peter made the deb you used, and the one in the repos. It is in the Gutsy universe. I have never had to -f an install from Peters deb. It really sounds to me like you base system is messed up...
PeterHoward

Post by PeterHoward »

DeathByPenguins wrote: Error, unable to authenticate user
This started around November 11th, which was when I made a couple of changes. This post jogged my memory
http://www.zoneminder.com/forums/viewto ... 24af9cff84
One was to change plain authentication to hashed in the System tab->ZM_AUTH_RELAY
I changed this back and it made no difference.
I looked at all the other logs I could find. Turned zm debugging up full. Couldn't find anything else that would fix the system.
I'll just have to be allot more careful of "any" changes I make this time around and test zoneminder thoroughly on each change I make.
I'll post back here If/when I find the change I made that broke the streaming. :lol:
OK - here are the things I know will break streaming:
  • Turning user authentication on in ZM at all - my stuff up and I am close to having it fixed . . .
    Actually using ffmpeg features - even though the .deb requires it it doesn't really support it.
    Parsed headers vs. non-parsed headers. On the "config" tab in the options window, try swapping between zms and nph-zms and see if one works over the other
If you find you've got another way, please let me know.

As to Lee's comments about the repo: it's in the Ubuntu universe from gutsy going forward; if you're working on dapper, edgy, or feisty, you have to do the manual install as you described.

Hoping this adds some help . . .
PeterHoward

Post by PeterHoward »

PeterHoward wrote:
  • Parsed headers vs. non-parsed headers. On the "config" tab in the options window, try swapping between zms and nph-zms and see if one works over the other
Oops. That should be the "paths" tab, and the field is ZM_PATH_ZMS - alternate between /cgi-bin/nph-zms and /cgi-bin/zms

PJH
Lee Sharp

Post by Lee Sharp »

PeterHoward wrote:
  • Turning user authentication on in ZM at all - my stuff up and I am close to having it fixed . . .
I am using auth with no problem. However, it is not hashed. Also, you have to close and reopen the browser after enabling it. Still nice to know you are working on it. Shout if you need anything.
PeterHoward

Auth working

Post by PeterHoward »

As of this morning I think I've got it done. On my system anwyay, I can now turn on authentication - using md5 - and my camera still works.

All I've got left to do is modify the install script so that it checks to see if you have exported stuff before it blows the directory away to set up the new (works out of install) export directory. Then I'll release it.
DeathByPenguins

As of this morning I think I've got it done. On my system anwyay, I can now turn on authentication - using md5 - and my camera still works.
Pardon my ignorance... How can we go about encrypting/hiding the credentials we pass to our ZM web server via the net?
All I've got left to do is modify the install script so that it checks to see if you have exported stuff before it blows the directory away to set up the new (works out of install) export directory. Then I'll release it.
How do you mean export stuff? What is the export directory?

Is there any known issues using ZM on a virtual machine? Does ZM on a VM work ok with the capture cards? As I'm thinking about doing some testing and as always a VM is a great way of doing this. Due to being able to role back changes and simply blow away. Id really like to add to the great effort you guys are doing with ZM. As it's a great peace of software, and looks to be fairly extensible. Once I've got my head around some more of it's functionality I'd like to dive into the code. Hence why I ask about VM issues. I've got plans to extend. Will keep you posted.

Yeah, tried changing the ZM_PATH_ZMS before I blew the 2nd install away.
Of course it does. You guys are unstop-able.
All this knowledge helps allot.
That's great news that the package is in the Gutsy repos onwards.
Will make installs allot quicker. Ubuntu's next LTS (Long Term Support) is coming up pretty soon. So This will be a big help.
PeterHoward

Post by PeterHoward »

Suddenly realised - we're roughly in the same timezone!
DeathByPenguins wrote:
Pardon my ignorance... How can we go about encrypting/hiding the credentials we pass to our ZM web server via the net?
MD5 Hashes (prior to transmission, I assume, on the browser side). Due to licensing issues with openssl I changed to gnutls to process the MD5 hashes on the server side. Or nearly changed. Now that's really changed.
How do you mean export stuff? What is the export directory?
The export directory is (by default) /usr/share/zoneminder/temp. Which is not writeable by non-root. What I've done for it (and a couple of other directories) is create the dir under /var and link it back to /usr/share/zoneminder.
Is there any known issues using ZM on a virtual machine? Does ZM on a VM work ok with the capture cards? As I'm thinking about doing some testing and as always a VM is a great way of doing this. Due to being able to role back changes and simply blow away. Id really like to add to the great effort you guys are doing with ZM. As it's a great peace of software, and looks to be fairly extensible. Once I've got my head around some more of it's functionality I'd like to dive into the code. Hence why I ask about VM issues. I've got plans to extend. Will keep you posted.
I use VMs but only for basic "it installs" testing - haven' really tried running zm properly in a VM environment.
Yeah, tried changing the ZM_PATH_ZMS before I blew the 2nd install away.
Of course it does. You guys are unstop-able.
All this knowledge helps allot.
That's great news that the package is in the Gutsy repos onwards.
Will make installs allot quicker. Ubuntu's next LTS (Long Term Support) is coming up pretty soon. So This will be a big help.
Nice to be appreciated :D

Note: see separate posting about -9 release.