Zoneminder helped in an arrest!

If you've made a patch to quick fix a bug or to add a new feature not yet in the main tree then post it here so others can try it out.

Have you actually caught someone in the act of a crime with zoneminder?

Yes, and was useful for identification.
71%
Yes, but quality was not useful for identification.
14%
No, I'm confident nothing has happened.
No votes
No, I don't know if something happened, I don't watch every day's feed.
14%

Total votes: 7

Briago

Zoneminder helped in an arrest!

Post by Briago »

I'm not sure that this is the right forum, but I don't see an ideal forum for great experiences with zone minder.

I think most of us set up our systems partly for fun or because they think that the video may help us if something happens to our property some day. I mostly set it up for fun, and because my wife was worried someone may steal our mail for ID theft.

However, in mid December (2011) a couple of thieves walked into my driveway and tried the doors on both of my cars. They found one of my cars unlocked as apparently my key fob had a weak battery and had not reliably been locking my door (now corrected). Luckily they found nothing inside and stole nothing from me. However, I insisted on a police report with the cops and provided all of my photos, and video which I compiled from the photos. From two camera angles I had hundreds of photos covering the 20 seconds that this lasted.

In late January, I contacted the cops to find out what had come of my report. To my supprise they had implemented an effort of bicycle cops patrolling the area between 1 and 4 am (probably longer, but that was the target time) as there was a rash of thefts reported. They found someone at 3am one day and searched their backpack and found electronics. Later they had reports of theft of items matching the contents of the backpack and went back to talk with the people they found that morning, but nothing came of that at that time. Later one was arrested for other reasons, and the cops recognized him from my video. He showed him the photo and asked if he knew who it was, to which he said "I have no idea". Then the cops got smart and checked on his jail phone call recordings. He had called his girlfriend and stated "they have a picture of me breaking into a car". Bam, they have a confession. He has now been tied to about a dozen of these over a months time, and has already been arrainged for on least six counts, with more expected.

Go zoneminder! I had a "tabletop" recorder before I started using zoneminder and I could never just sit down and watch a days events as it took too long. With zomeminder, I have daily videos created with a script such that when I get home I can just go to a website and click on a video and watch every movement in my yard for the whole day in about 90 seconds.
Blazer

Re: Zoneminder helped in an arrest!

Post by Blazer »

Here are some pics I captures of some punks messing with a parked and covered car in my driveway.
I called the police and told them I had video evidence, amazingly they were totally not interested. They did not even file a report or want to see the pictures. Basically, unless they actually steal or damage something, they don't care.

The first image was taken in complete darkness (IR cam). The second one was what happened when they triggered my motion light that has 3 200watt bulbs :)

Here's a few more:
http://imgur.com/NytOQ
Briago

Post by Briago »

Well, it sounds like your police department is lazy. They are required to file a report if you demand it whether they want to or not. Keep in mind that a police report is not only for having them investigate an incident. It is also used to document that SOMETHING happened. That way if it escalates later, you have documented proof that there was a previous event therefore showing a trend.

If I were you I would call to the police department (non-emergency) line and tell them you requested to have a report filed and you were refused. Then ask to speak to an officer in charge or something like that, and remind them that they are required to file a report if you insist upon one.

When they first came to me, the officer wasn't enthusiastic about making the report either. He didn't try to refuse, but I had to state clearly to him that I wanted to file a report even though nothing was taken.

The reports are also used to track crime statistics, so again it can help to show them where crime trends are occuring. The guy may be hitting dozens of cars, and more reports of him can help them track him down as it did in my case. However, I think few sheriff's/police departments will do what mine did and put out a special bicycle patrol at 2am.

It was the special bicycle patrol combined with the zoneminder video that let them capture our criminal on at least 11 counts.

Don't let the police push you around. When you call them out for an incident, they are there for you. If they act any differently, then they are being lazy and just not doing their job. If they refuse, tell them you want their badge number, and you will be filling a report against them. If they refuse to give their badge number, then take down their car number and file the report with the time/date and their car number.
Briago

Post by Briago »

Here are some of the key photos I provided. However, the deputie asked if I could make a cd. So I loaded all the images onto a CD and compiled video from the images to help them see what happened.

For those that are getting started in this and want to know the camera used to capture these images...
My cameras are from Gadspot.com (GS4010 and GS4012) 650TVL cameras with IR Cut and WDR. They cost me about $80 each. It appears that they don't have the GS4010 anymore, but they still have the GS4012.

I am thinking about getting an IP camera to extend to more areas, but I can get over the loss of image quality without going to $200+ in cost.
Second camera.
Second camera.
157-capture.jpg (46.4 KiB) Viewed 3790 times
One inside the car.
One inside the car.
371-capture.jpg (56.36 KiB) Viewed 3790 times
Photo of two thieves.
Photo of two thieves.
244-capture.jpg (56.35 KiB) Viewed 3790 times